Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,797   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Tips/Rules for using a Tripod in Venice & Italy in general

Buon giorno tutti;

I've been given a 1 week + solo pass prior to the birth of our little one in April & think I'm going to Venice next month. I was shooting hand held last time I went so this never came up. What is the general rule for putting down a tripod on the ancient streets of Italy ? Any tips, experiences, etc would be appreciated. That last thing I need is a $500 euro fine for not having an 'easily' secured permit.

Thanks,

Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ciao Vic,
    there will be no problems in Venice if you will place your tripod in the ancient and NARROW streets until you will block the passages of pedestrians, cats and pigeons, at that time you will have complains from the Venexiani, gatti e piccioni and at the end from Municipal Guards.
    If you will be in the main place of Venezia you have to be careful of tourists flux and not to be an obstacle, in doubt ask to the security force.
    It is forbidden to put down the tripod in churches, museums and others interiors, except for a private house in which you can ask the permission.
    Last suggestions try to avoid the main touristic places they are crowded, best to visit them at the dawn or the dusk of a grey and foggy day. Some interesting places are in the islands surraunding the town: Torcello, Burano, Lido with the Jewish cemetery and Malamocco.
    I invite you to ask for Venetian foods and dishes you will be satisfied......
    If you need some specifications ask.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    Buon giorno tutti;

I've been given a 1 week + solo pass prior to the birth of our little one in April & think I'm going to Venice next month. I was shooting hand held last time I went so this never came up. What is the general rule for putting down a tripod on the ancient streets of Italy ? Any tips, experiences, etc would be appreciated. That last thing I need is a $500 euro fine for not having an 'easily' secured permit.

Thanks,

Victor
    Send an email to Jeff Curto through his website: www.jeffcurto.com

Or through his blog: www.cameraposition.com

His blog is wonderful, and he photographs in Italy every year. His blog is filled with experiences of shooting in Italy. I'm sure he'll be more than willing to help you with advice and experience tidbits.

Good luck.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    No problem at all outdoors- just don't get in the way.

When you're on private land bear in mind that the owners/ managers can decide to allow photography or not, or tripods or not at their discretion- just like in the US. I've been refused entry to a private gardens - open to the public paying an admission- because I was carrying a tripod. But thats just once in many weeks of photographing in Italy and probably twenty days in the last ten years in Venice alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right now I'm more worried about the hunters then fines-)

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Grazie mille tutti. This is great and welcome information. I'll be using a light and quick tripod for medium format work (Holga, Pinhole, Rollei) and may shoot my speed graphic a bit but probably will use it hand held. I'll probably stay in northern Cannaregio close to the market and Santa Lucia Station (I like the sandwiches and prices there & may also visit family in Zagreb).
    The long hike to San Marco is a great early eye opener and being 1/2 Dalmatian (as well as 1/4 venetian 1/4 lombard), the trip towards the Riva Dei Schiavoni feels like I'm walking home Does anyone know a good place to stay or restaurants they can recommend? I speak some italian and welcome non touristy places/areas.
    Last edited by Jersey Vic; 01-19-2008 at 01:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try this web-site www.cross-pollinate.com
    My wife and I stayed at Ca' Riccio. It was very nice and clean with a great breakfast and nice views from the room. It is in Venice but off the beaten path. Early mornings were fantastic with really no tourists around. The streets were all mine. At $106 US a night it is a steal for Venice or anywhere. You will not be disappointed.
    Arthur,NYC

Images
    Thanks for Jeff Curto's site.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alternate tripod suggestions: 1. Monopod; 2. Tabletop tripod (mine is an old Leitz).

As for hotels, when we went in 1982 we stayed at the Hotel Bocassini, on the back side of Venice from San Marco. It was inexpensive, quiet, and quaint. We loved it. I was pleasantly surprised recently to find it on Google Earth, still under the same name!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    The long hike to San Marco is a great early eye opener and being 1/2 Dalmatian (as well as 1/4 venetian 1/4 lombard), the trip towards the Riva Dei Schiavoni feels like I'm walking home Does anyone know a good place to stay or restaurants they can recommend? I speak some italian and welcome non touristy places/areas.
    Ciao Vic,
    from which part of Dalmazia your ancestors coming from?
    Venezia had many contacts in the past centuries with parts of actually Slovenia and Croazia......
    I will post in these days a list of places to visit, to stay and to eat/drink that could be useful for visitors of Venexia.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin