Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,595   Online: 908

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've just returned from a week-long trip to the Faroe Islands. Well, kind of a week. My boyfriend and I spent four days on the islands, but it took about 48 hours in each direction to get there and back - boy did I need those seasickness remedies... Anyway, the bumpy boat ride was worth it, because never in my life have I seen such an incredible landscape. Roland has travelled a lot, and he said it's the most stunning place he's ever been to. There was a phenomenal scene round every corner - cliffs plummeting hundreds of metres into the Atlantic, waves pounding the rock faces, snow still on the mountains. It's actually pretty difficult to express the sheer scale of the place. It's one of those situations where you lose all sense of perspective, and suddenly find it impossible to judge distances and sizes, until you see a little hut that's microscopic against the mountain that rises behind it.

The weather was - umm - changeable! But that's always great for photography. The biggest problem was keeping the tripod still in all that wind. And I nearly lost it over a cliff edge on more than one occasion. It's carbon fibre - ideal for carrying (not that I did - I have a human pack pony for such menial tasks), but keen to make a bid for freedom if a gust of wind comes along at the right (or wrong) time.

The people were lovely, too. We managed to have a 15 minute conversation with an old fisherman who spoke as much English as we did Faroese - ie none. In the UK the first thing people tend to think of when they hear about the Faroes is the whale culls. I didn't witness any myself - I understand they can occur at almost any time - but the people were very upfront about the issue and happy to discuss it. I came away realising it would be very difficult to make any sort of judgement about it without making an effort to understand the cultural and historical reasons for such a thing.

I'm almost scared to process the films in case my photographs don't live up to my memory of the place...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ailsa @ May 14 2003, 04:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I&#39;ve just returned from a week-long trip to the Faroe Islands...</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Believe it or not, the Faroes are second on the places I&#39;d love to visit for the first time, the first being Iceland.
    Didn&#39;t I read, somewhere, that there was a Faroese Airline ... two aircraft?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow sounds amazing&#33; Of those 800 pics I am sure we will see some stunning postcards. Did you use your 645? Maybe we should look at organizing a group trip to your neck of the woods for 2004. When is the best time of year photographically?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sounds like a great trip Ailsa, hopefully you will post a few in the gallery here. For those of us travel deprived&#33;

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shot a mixture of 6x4.5cm and 35mm, and even shot (gulp) colour&#33; Please don&#39;t tell anyone.

Whether or not they appear in the gallery will depend on their success - or otherwise. If my presence on this board disappears 24 hours from now, it&#39;s because the slides have returned from the lab... The black & whites will have to wait until after the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aggie @ May 14 2003, 09:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I even know a few swear words in Faroese.</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Is there no limit to the intelligence here on APUG?? Swear words in Faroese, even&#33;&#33;
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can someone tell me how to paste pictures? I have a snap from the Faroes I&#39;d like to add to this thread...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Easy when you know how&#33;

This is just a snap taken with a Ricoh GR1V on Fuji Superia 400 print film. Just to give you all an idea of how amazing a place it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin