Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,634   Online: 660

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    One of my favorite restaurants is on the Buda side of the city. I forget the name in Hungarian, but the name translates as "Duck." Guess what their specialty is? Nice restaurant, a bit expensive for Budapest, but cheap compared to a similar meal in Paris or London or even Prauge. Not a tourist trap like so many places on the Pest side.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The statue park I found rather disappointing, but there are plenty of other very good possibilities for photography in Budapest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Though I wouldn't want to take pictures there, I thoroughly recommend a visit to the Széchenyi thermal baths.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frdrx View Post
    Though I wouldn't want to take pictures there, I thoroughly recommend a visit to the Széchenyi thermal baths.
    But nearby the baths are some great places for photos.
    Jak chapel and Vajdahunyad Castle in particular. In fact, the entire City Park area is very nice.
    Have fun, it's an amazing city.
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, since frdx mentioned thermal baths. My favourite in Budapest is Rudas Fürdö. The oldest parts of the structure were built by the Turks in the 16th century. The cupola above the baths is truly magnificent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was there in March and found a shop on Jozsef Attila utca near Sas utca that stocked quite a bit of film (including 4x5). They had quite a bit of used equipment as well. Unfortunately, the name escapes me. This is about a block north and west of Deak Ferenc ter.

larry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    ...Anyway, enjoy Budapest - it's an absolutely beautiful place, and the locals are very friendly with it. The language isn't as hard as it first appears either! Try a trip to the Statue Park on the edge of town where all the Soviet-era statues have been relocated to - my avatar is a photo of one of them . (If you take that route by public transport, it'd be worth at least having a phrasebook with you as its not really a tourist route and you need to change buses in the middle of nowhere - when I did it I nearly missed the stop entirely; fortunately some of the other people on the bus had worked out where we were going and made sure we got there!)
    Having been to Hungary several times, once through Budapest at high speed in a taxi, one thing to know if you can't speak Hungarian, is that second languages spoken are German, English or Russian.

In the western side of Hungary, Lake Balaton, Veszprem area where I was working, German tends to be spoken as a second language as much as English, and the younger people will have a smattering at least.

The older members of the population will have been taught Russian as a second language in school, this was AFAIK a country wide thing, but not necessarily a popular one.

BTW, especially with the older members of the population, the Russians aren't necessarily remembered fondly shall we say....

Also BTW, Don't bother googling "Hungarian Phrasebook" unless you like Monty Python. I remember having to explain this in a bar in Veszprem to a Hungarian chap, who was puzzled why I couldn't find Hungarian phrases online.

Finally, the local firewater is Called Unicum. I like it, but it IS an acquired taste. It was originally a herbal medicine, so may not be to everyones taste. Cough sweets in Vodka is a good description.
    The "Ladies Version" Unicum Next, is citrus in flavour, and is usually more understood by Western Europeans
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys, i did find most of the locations you suggested!!!

Jaap jan

Shooter
    35mm

Budapest to Prague

Will be in Budapest next week and will continue to Prague by boat and bus.
    Since last posts, any dramatic changes in prices of film and processing sites?
    Will be shooting 120 and 35mm.

John

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What are the good places in Budapest for street photography? E.g. where are the hungarians, and not the tourists?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin