Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,274   Online: 802

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Suggestions for scenes in Cornwall & St Ives

Hi

I am going on holiday to St. Ives, Cornwall later this month. I was hoping to glean some advice on some suitable landscape scenes - ideally one's that do not include houses and villages etc. I'm interested in woodland and\or waterfall scenes preferably.

Any recommendations warmly received.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Darn, there goes my suggestion of twilight village and town scenes: http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers...festyle.html#3

Been a while since traveling through Cornwall. Coastal waterfalls are possible if there are good rains, but who wants rain during holiday? I remember open moors, pastures and hedgerows.

Suggest a topographical map of the area with cross reference with Google Earth satellite views.

Safe travels.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I loved the rugged coastline view at Sennan Cove looking over the sea - absolutely stunning.

Enjoy!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Ted,

We have a couple of woodland areas that we regularly walk in Cornwall - won't be far away for you in St Ives. One is in Tehiddy Woods, its actually surrounded by a golf course, slightly park like but we had fun photographing ducks and squirrels there with our small son. The other is a little further south at Ponsanooth Woods, near Falmouth, where a river runs down a long wooded valley - very mossy with a variety of wateralls. There are old stone buildings covered in moss which were once a gunpowder factory many years ago, each has its own broken water wheel and stream. Not too easy to find but if you asked in Ponsanooth village someone would be sure to point you up the right road.

The tributaries of Falmouth Harbour and the Helford River (South Coast) are also nicely wooded - might be some potential there.

I know you didn't ask for coastlines, but up near us in North Cornwall the whole coastal area of Trevone Bay, Trevose Head, Padstow, Constantine Bay, and Bedruthen Steps is also sensational. Ozphoto is definitely right about Sennen cove, which is also a great spot.

Very nice spot and highly recommended - hope you make it there and have a great time in Cornwall.

Regards,
    Pete
    Pols Piece - Holiday Cottages Cornwall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted, as Pete said, Ponsanooth is a great area. The gunpowder mill is in a wooded valley called The Kennal Vale. Great location for fens, some moving water and old granite buildings.

Other good areas to explore along North Cornish Coastal Road is Zennor, with it's burial quoit, Lanyon Quoit, Chun Quoit all in close proximity to each other. The village of Botallack also has some spectacular cliffs and mine scenery that should not be missed. If you want nice beach, and cliffs to explore, try Gwithian Towans and beach area. Truly spectacular when the tide is out. If you like wooded areas, and plants, try Trebar Gardens near Falmouth.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Near Botallack

Don't pinch my tripod holes, and let me know if you find my cable release

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all - I've made a note of all of those places and will post the best pics up here when I get back.

Cheers

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Ted,

You might want to have a look at this website http://www.golithafalls.co.uk/ and to pay a visit to Golitha Falls.

Best wishes,

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Folks

I'm back....and what I delightful trip I've had.

Of the places suggested I managed to get to

1) Sennan Cove,
    2) Ponsanooth Woods, or, more specifically, the Kennal Vale and the old gun-powder mills, and
    3) Botallack

Sennan Cove was lovelly - we spent nearly all day there.

Botallack was a bit of a problem because as we approached the village we saw no obvious signs as to where to stop and get out, and with the wife being pregnant, long walks weren't an option. In addition, we had some fool stuck to our bumper so we couldn't stop - a shame.

By far my favourite was the Kennal Vale - what an outstanding place that was!! Boy is it hard to find though!!! I had to ask the local Post Office master who directed me up a small lane. I eventually found the gate and a small plaque that announced the entrance. Still, all the better fo us photographers if not many people know it's there! I hooked up my F80 on my Manfrotto trusty steed and set some 10+ second exposures and went on to shoot about 3 rolls of 35mm FujiFilm Acros B&W, nearly all of waterfalls. During the week we were there, we only had one day of rain so I used that day for my trip to the Vale, knowing that the rivers would be flowing and the duller weather would suit the B&W. I've yet to see the results of that shoot, but my lord, it was super and I am confident that I'll get a 'wall worthy' shot from it. There was another photographer there too - he looked like the business with an assistant, reflectors and an immediate digital hookup to a laptop. I didn't stop to speak as I felt rather intimidated with my Nikon F80 body! But hey, we'll see what we get.

Other places that I visted was the Cape of Cornwall, just a mile or so North from Lands End. Not half as busy as Lands End and I got some nice simple shots of me and the wife sat looking out. Another fantastic spot I found was a little coastal peak on the south called near Saint Levan and Portcurno. There's a minor road that leads to it that's so minor that at one point you think it's private land belonging to a farmer, but if you keep going there's a little cove at the bottom with lovelly clear green water and just a couple of bathers. A car park appears out of nowhere but it's only big enough for about 20 cars. A lovelly hidden treasure - worth a visit! I shot a roll of Velvia at about 15:00 at this location as the sun was out and the blues and greens looked lovelly - again, awaiting the results. In addition, the coastal path walk leads to it and continues on from it so I had a little trek up that and got some more coastal shots.

Most of my shots were taken in and around where we were staying, St Ives. I shot lots of the village itself and loads of the coast and beeches in and immediately around the Bay of St Ives. Loads of blue skies, blue and green waters, sandy beeches, and waves hitting rocks. Lots of Velvia shot that week!! About 15 rolls I think.

All in all, I great trip. As soon as I get some of the results on line I'll post up the results and then others can perhaps benefit from this thread when\if they visit Cornwall. I am sending the E6 and C41 films to The Darkroom for development.

Cheers

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Botallack is a wild walk, the wife complained - but she doesn't like British weather far too cold for her- but loved the landscape. You do need an OS map.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin