Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,304   Online: 1087

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    A lot will depend on how much you like to press the shutter button. I always have at least 2 rolls of each type of film I shoot (50, 100, 400iso B&W, and 100iso color, all 120) and then several extra of my most used films. So, I rarely embark anywhere without at least 8-10 rolls for the smallest day outings. When I am going on holidays, I plan on 3 rolls a day for a minimum although I have never shoot that many on a regular basis; this allows me to shoot 5 rolls one day, 1 the next and still be okay on average. Consider the expense of the trip (flights, hotels, food, time) and the film is one of the cheapest aspects of traveling; I personally would hate to miss shots because I was conserving film given what it cost me to get there in the first place.

The problem with buying film on your trip is: (1) will they have 120 film (it is getting harder to find without sometimes going to multiple stores which takes valuable time) and (2) will they have your particular preference for film (or just 800iso unrefrigerated generic film)? The problem with taking film is: (1) I still don't trust airport scanners and some airports refuse to allow the X-ray bags to be used and (2) many airlines now have weight limitations which prevent you from taking as much gear as you want.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beware buying 120 film in Chile is extremely difficult. It is available but you'll be constantly told it isn't imported, by most Photo stores.

If you're in Santiago then a lab/store called Photonew has a small amount of 120 Ilford and uji B&W film on the shelf but they said they can get more in about 24 hours. There are a lot of small photo shops located in an arcade near the Catholic University which stock almost exclusively Ilford B&W films & some Foma but none sell 120.

Chile is a very long thin country and the 2 areas really worth visiting are at the two ends of the country in the north & south, but you need to fly, it's also worth going to Peru for a short trip to Lima and Machu Piccu, and if you have time Lake Titicaca. The local airline TACA is extremely good, modern, very efficient.. You will have to check the weight restriction on baggage if your taking internal flights as this is often lower than on long haul international flights

The Tourist information office in Santiago isn't very helpful, there isn't much information printed in English at all, everything is in Spanish and they aren't geared up to foreign visitors. Very few people speak English but everyone is helpful & friendly. Peru is very different, information is published in a wide variety of languages. So do your research before you leave.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brilliant advice, everybody! I'm nixing Peru on this trip for another occasion, as I'll be packing in Easter Island in addition to, probably, North Chile.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Turn down your speakers before clicking on that "Photonew" link!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Last five day trip with 120 I shot 30 rolls. I took 60. It works out to shooting 6 rolls a day, but my camera only makes 4 exposures per roll. Had I been getting 12 on a roll, that would have been more like 2 rolls per day, but I suspect I would have shot twice as much with 12 on 120, so I would personally plan on 2-4 rolls per day, so call it 3. It depends a lot on your shooting style.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's close to my average use I would guess 6 rolls of 120 a day at the most. Like Jason I'm mainly shooting 6x17 so 4 on a roll.

One benefit of using LF is you learn which images will work and don't shoot unless you're sure the image is worthwhile, that filters down to 120 & 35mm shooting as well and means you waste less film. As the OP is an LF shooter I guess he'll be similar.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ian, that explains a lot.

I shoot with a Hasselblad. 12 shots a roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Ian, that explains a lot.

I shoot with a Hasselblad. 12 shots a roll.
    I guess I should have added when I used to shoot 645 I probably took more images, and used on average 4 or 5 rolls a day.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a side note:

If you're not limited to 120 and if you happen to like Tri-X 320 (I know I do), then bring some 220 as well. Double the frames, takes up the same space (if that is at all an issue).

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was only planning on taking 20 rolls (at 15 frames/roll) for my upcoming trip, but reading all this is making me re-think. I think I'll go with 30-40 now. I'm not trigger happy, and it's not a photography trip (though there's going to be a lot of time and opportunity to take shots), but I definitely better go with more rather than less.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin