Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,468   Online: 911

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

How many 120 rolls would you carry?

Hiya folks,

I'm in the process of planning a month-long trip to Chile. I haven't decided on which part of the country to concentrate on yet, though. Anyway, I will be using my Rollei MF system for this trip and I am a bit stumped as to how many rolls of 120 film to carry. I usually use an 8x10 camera so, thus, I have been sort of conditioned in making each picture count. I plan to, if possible, buy all my film before I set off. I was curious as to how many rolls of 120 film you would take on this trip, or a similar trip. Thank you all!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went to Iceland for 10 days and shot 55 rolls.

I went to Oaxaca for 30 days and shot 65 rolls.

If doing your trip, I would plan on 60-70 rolls. This allows 2 rolls a day.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you, David: that's very interesting. Great blog, btw.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I travel I will carry about 100 to 120 rolls black and white film in 120/220 rolls in various film speeds. 20-30 rolls of Tri-X 320 in 220s, 20 rolls of Tri-X 320 in 120s, 30-40 rolls of Plus-X, 15-20 rolls of Delta 3200 and 20 rolls of Ilford Pan F+. I use zip lock bags and double wrap each type of film in their own plastic bags with a label. When the film has been exposed I put them all in one plastic bag, double wrapped.

Good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thanks rory.

Is your trip a photo trip or is it a vacation that will include a nice camera?

If a photo trip, really think about how much you might shoot. Probably 2-3 rolls a day.

I'd probably go with the 60 rolls I recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would research ahead and buy my rolls at the destination, which is what I usually do.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When traveling to shoot I take 70-100 rolls of 120 for each week and shoot 35 to 70 on average. Nothing is worse than running out of film, some places turnout to be far more photogenic than expected and others disappoint. I bracket and shoot everything from multiple angles so 1 subject can easily use up a roll. I also tend to be very selective about film for subject or type of light which tends to force me to bring more film.
    Last edited by jd callow; 09-21-2008 at 11:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This will be a, primarily, photography trip. My first bit of agonizing was to decide whether I'd do a large format / 35mm combo, or a LF / MF combo. I ditched the LF idea owing to the weight (I'm very small, and I can't handle too much slogging with 30lbs of gear), and general hassle of LF logistics. I also ditched the 35mm idea in order to standardize on one system for both handheld, and tripod shots.

It will be kind of hard for me to invoke some discipline in shooting as I'm a little island-dweller about to be stunned by a grand landscape.

Oh, fantastic photographs from Iceland, David!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, Jd, I know what you mean. If I run out of film, things will be grim. There are camera shops in Santiago, but I prefer the good old B&H approach. We'll see.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, it's your call. Take 100 rolls. Also consider the processing afterwards.

When I went to Oaxaca, I have 200 rolls of film with me and as I said, I shot 65 rolls.

(thanks for the compliment)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin