Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,813   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Trip?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wales: Thankfully the Heads of the Valleys road is now pretty much free of roadworks. There are speed restictions, and the place has more speed cameras than is healthy for it.

If you're going west on the M4, Newport will be the first main city you'll pass. Caldicot castle is worth a look (Where I had my wedding photos shot)

Also have a look at this thread as well. It might give you a few ideas:

Previous UK thread
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm curious why several of you discount Stonehenge in favor of other stone circles (Avebury, etc.). Is it crowds, lack of access or other problems?

I personally could spend the whole two weeks in Wales in the old mining areas.

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Avebury is good, as all you have to pay is a small fee to park the car, and you can wander to your hearts content, and get as close to the stones as possible. The stone circle there is on common land, so it isn't a commercial operation. The locals make enough money out of visitors, judging by how full the local pub is on a sunny weekend

Stonehenge is controlled by English Heritage as a commercial operation. The parking is always overflowing, and they only allow you to have a guided tour, which is herded around, and quite a distance from the stones.

I used to live in wiltshire, and drive across Salisbury plain to get from Trowbridge to Salisbury. We used to dread tourist season going past Stonehenge as it was chaos, we used to avoid it as much as possible

Stonehenge is overrated IMHO

If you do want to go around the south west before going to wales I'd recommend Cheddar Gorge. Well worth seeing, though avoid bank holidays as it gridlocks solid. Best enjoyed on a motorcycle!
    Last edited by Aurum; 10-06-2008 at 11:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added some cheddar
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm late to this one but I'm going to vouch for Stonehendge. For a start.. it's Stonehendge!!! One of the whole worlds must sees! Second the whole area around Stonehenge has masses and masses of ancient sites, Avebury Rings, Old Sarum, Silbury Hill, Glastonbury Tor (where King Arthur was supposedly burried, you must see the Tor!), Salisbury Cathedral (tallest spire in the UK! amazing site), there are long barrows and short barrows, Wardour castle (the archetypal ruined castle) plus loads and loads more. So coming down our way is well worth the trip. There's a real ancient magic and ambiance to the area. Plus, if you come down I'll give you a tour, I live just outside Salisbury which in itself is one of the most beautiful medieval cities in Europe. It's very small for a city, more like a town, but it has a cathedral so it qualifies. Any way, I can vouch for Scotland too, you MUST do Edinburgh, near there quite conveniently are some other beautiful places too. And in Wales, try the Brecon Beacons, a spectacular national park.

For the time of year, summer will be busy obviously, if you want something that crystallizes the atmosphere over here then try spring or autumn.

Don't forget if you're in Salisbury you can always shoot up to London on the train or bus, it's only an hour.

Hope this helps!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No 'd' in Stonehenge!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Windscale View Post
    I am afraid you will have to give Ireland a miss
    :o

It's most definitely worth a visit over here..
    The People.. The Scenery.. The Craic.. and the Guinness.. Sure what more do you need?
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Síle View Post
    :o

It's most definitely worth a visit over here..
    The People.. The Scenery.. The Craic.. and the Guinness.. Sure what more do you need?
    With the fullest respect to Ireland and the Irish, the place deserves a much longer time to visit. Two weeks would barely be enough to cover England, Scotland and Wales. The schedule which I suggested was already rather tight. Squeezing in Ireland would make it even tighter.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote. In fact you only needed to mention the GUINNESS, all the rest are second best!

Shooter
    35mm
    Glastonbury is definately worth a vist, it's my home town, though I don't live there anymore, my folks still do so I try to pop back a few times a year. Avoid the last weekend in June, Glastonbury Festival is on and the roads will be super busy. King Arthur is meant to be burried in the Abbey (ruins now, well worth a look around) rather than up the Tor. The Tor and Wyrall Hill give great views over the Somerset levels, and on a clear day you can see south Wales from the Tor. The white horses on the hills in Wiltshire and the Cerne Abbas giant in Dorset could also be worth a visit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    No 'd' in Stonehenge!
    I thought there was. Stoned henge!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Windscale View Post
    With the fullest respect to Ireland and the Irish, the place deserves a much longer time to visit. Two weeks would barely be enough to cover England, Scotland and Wales. The schedule which I suggested was already rather tight. Squeezing in Ireland would make it even tighter.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote. In fact you only needed to mention the GUINNESS, all the rest are second best!
    Oh I know Windscale.. I was really just kidding with you.. you would need at the least a month in the UK and Ireland to fully appreciate it all.. but whistle stop tours can work at times.. I much rather leisurely wanderings..
    Oh and People first.. Guinness second

S
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin