Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,250   Online: 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Dutch Harbor-Aleutian Islands

That's where I'm heading tomorrow. I'm full up on vidiot gear for the paying gig, so all I can take is my lovely little Oly Stylus loaded with FP4. It will be fun to see what I can do with such a "meager" camera! I'm taking my laptop, so I might be able to check in, but I'm not sure. If I can get online, I'll update.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 10-22-2008 at 08:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've flown over the Aleutians (at 30,000 ft.) lots of times over the years and always had the thought I'd like to visit there someday. I hope it's not too wet and cold for you at this time of the year! In any case, I'm jealous.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's where they shoot "Deadliest Catch" (Discovery Channel)...and if it's anything like that, it should be interesting...
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A search is going on right now for five missing crewmen from a cod fishing boat or processor ship headed to Dutch Harbor. Four survivors have been picked up and two bodies. I don't recognize the name as one of the main boats off "Deadliest Catch" but the news is still coming in.

Shooter
    35mm
    Made it up to Dutch Harbor. I went aboard the crab boat Bering Sea. The capt's name is Peter. What a great guy, and what a great boat! I'm back in town now, weather is deteriorating. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Finishing up a roll of color neg right now, but it's going slow as the main gig is the taping. Hopefully get the FP4 in tomorrow and get a chance for something cool during an off time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amazing stuff!

Those folks at Dutch Harbor have one of the toughest jobs anywhere.
    Respect!

Please keep us posted on progress.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    35mm
    Observation- The show relates the physical difficulty and danger quite well, but doesn't even scratch the discipline, the mental toughness required of these people for the job. These guys are some of the toughest people I have ever met,... and the kindest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're still there, check and see if Vinnie James is playing music nearby. I know he's in DH, right now, and puts on a great show.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If you happen to get a chance to stop on Kodiak Island, do so. I spent three years there and there are endless photo ops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you go near Sitka on the way back, wave for me (it's where I was born). Alaska is gorgeous. I miss it - I haven't been up there in about 17 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin