Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,763   Online: 1160

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Indeed the icelanders are a fearsome lot. You never know, they might charge you on those little horses. Or put the Björk on high volume.

But I think as long as they have their cod, they will remain peaceful.
    But - aren't they descendants of Vikings? :o What if they start wielding axes again? Or make us eat sheep heads? The Swedes robbed the library of Würzburg during the 30 year war, and we've never forgotten!

Antje, appalled

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    The Swedes robbed the library of Würzburg during the 30 year war, and we've never forgotten!
    :o I can send you some books if you wish

Funny though, I remember seeing somewhere in Austria, I think near Kirchberg: bis hier und nicht weiter kamen die schwedischen Reiter. Or something like that. So apparently the Austrians were a tough lot (?)
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    :o I can send you some books if you wish
    Truth be told, I find it pretty cool - the library now is in Sweden and can be seen in Uppsala, which makes it history in itself... And after all, the fact probably saved the books from destruction in WWII.

Funny though, I remember seeing somewhere in Austria, I think near Kirchberg: bis hier und nicht weiter kamen die schwedischen Reiter. Or something like that. So apparently the Austrians were a tough lot (?)
    They still are! It really is funny - my people, the Westfalians (north-ish - western Germany) still pride themselves that we fought off the Romans. Water toilets? Central heating? No thanks, we rather wanted to stay free and barbarian.

Antje, enjoying central heating nonetheless

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Windscale View Post
    But beware. A country that is economically unstable may soon be socially and politically unstable. Poverty may bring forth public disorder. I have wanted to go there for a long time and never went. Now I think I will think twice. Imagine going to a place where all the local residents have lost their money!!!

An individual who make this kind of statement, just doesn't know a s h i t about Scandinavian culture or values, northern european countries, were once in history barbarian, now they are civilized and advanced.

Go there and see for yourself, learn about the people and the country itself, maybe after that, you will stop behaving like a complete ignorant.

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2008...mic-situation/

Have a nice day!

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably the best thing we can do to support the Icelandic public is to go there and spend hard foreign cash.

For any Brits who would like to show the Icelandic people that Gordon Brown does NOT represent the views of the British public you can show your support here: http://www.indefence.is/Home. Brown obviously can't tell the difference in pronounciation between Terrorism and Tourism (I wonder who he's been talking to recently ;0) )!

End of political rant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But beware. A country that is economically unstable may soon be socially and politically unstable. Poverty may bring forth public disorder. I have wanted to go there for a long time and never went. Now I think I will think twice. Imagine going to a place where all the local residents have lost their money!!!
    So I should postpone my trip to the UK & USA until things improve?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    An individual who make this kind of statement, just doesn't know a s h i t about Scandinavian culture or values, northern european countries, were once in history barbarian, now they are civilized and advanced.

Go there and see for yourself, learn about the people and the country itself, maybe after that, you will stop behaving like a complete ignorant.

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2008...mic-situation/André
    Make no mistake about it. I have been to many Scandinavian countries, including your very own. I admired the people there. I am not making an adverse statement about them. I am just saying that things MAY change in a certain way due to circumstances. And circumstances have changed. Local people taking to the street in protest was something almost unheard of in Iceland. When people have suffered all their losses and were up in arms it may not be the best time to go there. If you can understand English well, the whole statement referred to a possibility rather than an accusation. I did not make anything about them being barbarians in the past. That was a long long time ago, certainly before the modern history of England which started in 1066! In fact you brought this up. I have always wanted to go and see the place but just that in the past I ended up in other places, including your country.

If you would like to accuse me as "behaving like a complete ignorant", you are entitled to your views. It just proved that we are tolerant people and only make a statement based on logic rather than accusation without understanding the language in which it was written in. Anyway, I think this should end this observation. I like Sibelius as much as you do.

Oh. I do apologise to anyone who may feel offended. And to the Icelanders, I do feel sorry for you for losing your hard-earned money due to the lack of supervision by your government and the over ambitious investment policies of your financial institutions. We are facing the same problem in the UK as well. Let's hope things get better.
    Last edited by Windscale; 10-26-2008 at 08:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    So I should postpone my trip to the UK & USA until things improve?
    Very sensible. I have not visited the USA since 911.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Make no mistake about it. I have been to many Scandinavian countries, including your very own. I admired the people there. I am not making an adverse statement about them. I am just saying that things MAY change in a certain way due to circumstances. And circumstances have changed. Local people taking to the street in protest was something almost unheard of in Iceland. When people have suffered all their losses and were up in arms it may not be the best time to go there. If you can understand English well, the whole statement referred to a possibility rather than an accusation. I did not make anything about them being barbarians in the past. That was a long long time ago, certainly before the modern history of England which started in 1066! In fact you brought this up. I have always wanted to go and see the place but just that in the past I ended up in other places, including your country.

If you would like to accuse me as "behaving like a complete ignorant", you are entitled to your views. It just proved that we are tolerant people and only make a statement based on logic rather than accusation without understanding the language in which it was written in. Anyway, I think this should end this observation. I like Sibelius as much as you do.

Oh. I do apologise to anyone who may feel offended. And to the Icelanders, I do feel sorry for you for losing your hard-earned money due to the lack of supervision by your government and the over ambitious investment policies of your financial institutions. We are facing the same problem in the UK as well. Let's hope things get better.

So, as an individual who knows the northern culture, do you really believe people can start rioting and descent to anarchy because of the current scenario?

I don't think so, icelanders are quiet and relaxed people, they might take on the streets sending a message to the government, but more than that, I don't believe, honestly.

Icelanders are highly civilized and educated people, I really can't see them rioting, I would be shocked if they did that.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    So, as an individual who knows the northern culture, do you really believe people can start rioting and descent to anarchy because of the current scenario?

I don't think so, icelanders are quiet and relaxed people, they might take on the streets sending a message to the government, but more than that, I don't believe, honestly.

Icelanders are highly civilized and educated people, I really can't see them rioting, I would be shocked if they did that.

Cheers

André
    I am sure they are nice people. But as I say, these are difficult and extreme times. It is hard to predict what they can or will do as all their money in the bank has vapourised. The government said it will guarantee their savings. But what with? Their government has no money to do this. Even with the borrowed money from Russia it is still not enough. In the past, Iceland has applied quite a bit of control over the amount tourism so as to keep their country as unspoiled as it can be. I agreed this is sensible. But even by opening up tourism it is unlikely to bring them out of the current crisis. I hope the Icelanders will exercise their ultimate perseverance and work something out to get them out of trouble. And they can't rely on outside help as everyone else is also in deep shit.

My policy is to stay put and spend as little as possible on luxuries (such as foreign travels) in these difficult times. We have a saying overhere which is very appropriate: CASH IS KING.

I am sure Finland is also feeling the pinch. Your neighbours in the EC are all suffering. Good luck to us all.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin