Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,415   Online: 934

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Alright, let's not get political here! This thread is supposed to be about visiting a lovely place with dramatic light!

I'll just say this about the icelanders, I find them to be uniformly wonderful, *highly* educated and resourceful; it is unfortunate that the banks failed, but this can happen anywhere. If any country can bounce back from financial crisis it is Iceland; the cisis they are experiencing is relatively simple (at least compared to the multilayered issue the US is dealing with, which will take much more time). My guess is that Iceland will effectively adopt a harder currency (pounds sterling or dollar) for a time until confidence in their own financial systems are restored. We'll see a run on what is perceived to be the most powerful currency, the USD. When the dollar rush subsides, that will be a first signal that the global economy is turning the corner back towards good confidence. Just watch the exchange markets, it'll be plain for everyone to see.

Now, back to the topic of travel and photography in Iceland, please...
    Last edited by keithwms; 10-26-2008 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh My Odin people. Chill. Chill in Iceland even. I think I'd want to photograph an Icelandic viking on a charging little pony. I'd wave green bucks in defense to stop'em dead in his tracks. Anyway, take a look at some of Bill Schwab's images from Iceland. The beauty is overwhelming and I am positive the people counter the temperature chill with deep warmth and hospitality, protesting on charging ponies and all notwithstanding.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, just had a look at Icelandair's website... My husband is rummaging through our Outlook calenders to find suitable dates now. If I can help a country by spending a week in hot pools and photographing what is some of the most stunning scenery in the known universe, well, so be it... It's hard, especially the massage-and-hot-pools part of it, but I'll suffer that for Iceland's economy.

Antje

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    ... My guess is that Iceland will effectively adopt a harder currency (pounds sterling or dollar) for a time until confidence in their own financial systems are restored. ...
    Negotiations are underway, it seems. Iceland may enter a monetary union with Norway - one of the few other non-EU European countries.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Though: Going Euro would make so much sense now. *sigh*

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It has been interesting to read the comments from you all about the situation in Iceland. There is no question that the situation is precarious here. Some say that we are on the brink of collapse but that is being pessimistic. We are getting help from friends abroad, especially from our good cousins in Scandinavia.
    I went for a walk in Reykjavik earlier this afternoon and found out that the light was not depressed, the cold was just as before and the people were exactly the same. We have noticed that tourists are coming to visit and I have seen that many of them carry a camera.
    Windscale, I can assure you that there is absolutely no risk of rioting or violence here. Visitors are welcome and even your prime minister, bless his soul, would be safe.

Jon
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonogmun View Post
    I went for a walk in Reykjavik earlier this afternoon and found out that the light was not depressed, the cold was just as before and the people were exactly the same.

Jon
    You have our best wishes Jon, thanks for posting.

Fintan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It has been interesting to read the comments from you all about the situation in Iceland. There is no question that the situation is precarious here. Some say that we are on the brink of collapse but that is being pessimistic. We are getting help from friends abroad, especially from our good cousins in Scandinavia.
    I went for a walk in Reykjavik earlier this afternoon and found out that the light was not depressed, the cold was just as before and the people were exactly the same. We have noticed that tourists are coming to visit and I have seen that many of them carry a camera.
    Windscale, I can assure you that there is absolutely no risk of rioting or violence here. Visitors are welcome and even your prime minister, bless his soul, would be safe.

Jon
    I have wanted to visit for the past 10 years or so, if just to soak myself in the famous Blue Lagoon. But somehow we ended up in other places, many in Scandinavia. It was just a combination of circumstances as we were not able to come during your holiday season. I don't think I can quite stand up to your winter. I hope all will go well and you chaps get all your money back. Such words as "rioting" and "violence" have not been used by me in this thread. Just that I have always avoided going to places where the tensions are high. I am sure things will improve and one (summer) day soon you will see me there - wearing my little camera and my walking stick!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    LOL Great to read you haven't lost your humour.

I know you'll pull through - you have the resources and the ingeniousness.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    So I should postpone my trip to the UK & USA until things improve?
    LOL, I really like your wry sense of humour goldie
    Ben

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin