Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,266   Online: 738

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Some of us are still fighting....
    Some may think they are fighting. It could be just an honest exchange of opinions by intellectuals with different philosophies but with no adverse intentions! We are fortunate that we live in environments where this can freely happen. Don't you agree?

We in England have a saying which I will paraphrase as "I may not like what you say, But I will do all I can to defend your right to say it".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Windscale View Post
    Some may think they are fighting. It could be just an honest exchange of opinions by intellectuals with different philosophies but with no adverse intentions! We are fortunate that we live in environments where this can freely happen. Don't you agree?
    I thought he meant Iraq and Afghanistan...?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    I thought he meant Iraq and Afghanistan...?
    Was 911 an exchange of opinion? Anyway, I have wasted too much of Valuable APUG space. I will stop despite what others may say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh dear, what did I start Well, me and my sarcasm (post #49) are going to Iceland and we will be taking pictures and [I hope] not getting brutally mugged by vikings....

Actually, I was attacked once in Iceland... by a sheep. That was actually a bit scary since I was on the edge of a cliff hunting puffins and didn't have much room for retreat. So there was a wet and wooly tussle.

N.b. the icelandic horses can give the impression they are going to charge you but actually they are just running up for some petting.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    News update for those interested.

http://www.topnews.in/regions/iceland

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well I'm back from Iceland and I can report that it was, to the foreign visitor, 100% normal. Normal cash and credit flow etc. No problem with payments etc. No marauding vikings. The only difference was that when I went to change some USD for ISK at the airport, I was advised not to do it, that everyone would happily accept USD. That proved true. They happily accept euros and USD everywhere.

Now, on the topic of Icelanders, I'll just say that they are probably the most resilient people on this planet. Their very existence has been in doubt many times, and every day, even a few times per day, there is a rumbling reminder underfoot that we all live at the pleasure of God and nature. In the final analysis, cash is just cash as paper is just paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How were the prices on things?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Excellent prices.... a few examples:

Kingly (or queenly?) first-rate meal of fresh fish etc., ~$20-30. Even rather pricey locations were serving dinner at roughly that price point. Notwithstanding the price of alcohol in Scandinavia in general, good cuisine was very affordable.

Rental car, stationwagon, $50/day; some models for ~$35/day were available.

Family "cabin" in Hverager­i (good location proximal to many of the better-known sights) with lounge, kitchen, hot-tub, and sleeping space for 4: ~$80/day

Comfy 3-person room at the very nice Northern light Inn (beside the blue lagoon) with shower etc: ~$100/day. We stayed there on our first and last nights, as it is such a nice treat to be able to walk over to the lagoon for a dip and also be within a very short drive from the airport.

Petrol prices were way lower than I ever recall them being in Iceland. I don't remember the number but it was the first time I've been in Iceland and not felt completely robbed every time I filled up.

Overall, I'd put the cost of living/vacationing at roughly the same as where I live in the US. So, quite economical, actually.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin