Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,843   Online: 766

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Iceland bargains

I was just perusing the airfares to Iceland and noticed that they've plummeted; there are some very good deals for the winter break.

Is there any interest in a ~5-10 day mid-winter trip? Last time I was in Iceland over winter, I found all manner of things to see and do. The light was quite spectacular. Among the attractions:

-gorgeous light, something like sunrise/sunset for several hours. The colours are spectacular.

-long exposure heaven: in the lowish light you can build all sorts of motion into a photograph.

-northern lights: last time I was there in winter, I was able to see them quite clearly even from the blue lagoon.

-winter traditions: in the winter, the Icelanders light the graves and shoot off fireworks to fend off the darkness. The Icelanders have very interesting yuletide traditions.

-I found the hostels to be uniformly excellent, and the farms to be even better (in terms of food).

-almost complete absence of tourists in the winter!

If this happens I would propose staying around Reykjavik, with day-long photo excursions around the peninsula.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Iceland's banking system has failed, causing a huge devaluation in the Icelandic currency. That is no doubt related to the air far changes.

Getting money while you are there might be difficult, but it's probably a great opportunity to enjoy being there at a reasonable price. It is a special place.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What's the capital of Iceland?

about £1
    :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Very tasteless joke.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trips to Iceland are win win at the moment, good value for you guys and important tourism for them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But beware. A country that is economically unstable may soon be socially and politically unstable. Poverty may bring forth public disorder. I have wanted to go there for a long time and never went. Now I think I will think twice. Imagine going to a place where all the local residents have lost their money!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Windscale View Post
    But beware. A country that is economically unstable may soon be socially and politically unstable. Poverty may bring forth public disorder. I have wanted to go there for a long time and never went. Now I think I will think twice. Imagine going to a place where all the local residents have lost their money!!!
    Indeed the icelanders are a fearsome lot. You never know, they might charge you on those little horses. Or put the Björk on high volume.

But I think as long as they have their cod, they will remain peaceful.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What are the fares? I just checked Icelandair round trip from Minneapolis and the fare was >$3000.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Windscale View Post
    What a completely crass and unfeeling statement. I'm sure your absence from the country will not be noticed. Iceland is an incredible place to visit and the Icelanders are truly quite individual. Despite the current situation, I am very confidant that in time, (not sure how long though), they will be on their feet again. Reports from friends from there say that it is not an easy situation just now, but I am sure they would be as welcoming as ever to tourists and it really is a country that has to be seen to be believed!
    Last edited by Mike Crawford; 10-25-2008 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jerold, I found flights from NY to Reykjavik that were ~$220-260 each way, leaving Dec. 18th and returning the 23rd. There is definitely some magic in the dates; e.g. if you fly on the 20th, the cost goes up to $1000!

Anyway look at some of their specials...

http://www.icelandair.com/

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin