Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,855   Online: 1007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stockland View Post
    Just a word of warning - our experience with these folks has been far from kind or encouraging. Exactly the opposite. We were with them at the very beginning, and put $1,500 for 3 family members into the venture. At the time, we were told the COOP would be up and running within six months, and that if for any reason we wanted to withdraw, we could do so with a full refund. We waited and waited and when nothing at all seemed to be happening, we asked for a refund and cancellation of our memberships. They cancelled our memberships, all right, but basically told us to get lost as far as getting any money back. We were told that legally they were under no obligation to return our money, and would do so only when the COOP was financially stable. That was 15 months ago, and we haven't heard a peep since about getting a penny back. A while back, one family member approached them about at least reinstating our memberships so we could get some use of the facility. Louis-Phillipe Sarrazin said he would have to consult the board. We've heard nothing from them since. I'm not accusing them of anything criminal or fraudulent or malevolent. I think like a lot of volunteer organizations, they're probably just disorganized. But if you're at all thinking about getting involved with them, make sure you can kiss your contribution good-bye if things don't work out. What looks promising ain't always so.

I was doing some research upon photocoop.ca in Google and came upon this thread. Unfortunatly the website of Photocoop seems to be offline. I'm not sure why, and hope it's not because they've decided to abandon the idea. I've also had a chance to meet them at the Montreal Flea Market in November 2008 and was explained the same as Michel Hardy-Vallée related. I was present at the Fleat Market to talk about Studio4fun (www.studio4fun.ca), unfortunatly it doesn't offer a darkroom. I personnally go at the University of Montreal darkroom to work since I've been a student there for many years.

Peter Stockland, I'm truly sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience with PhotoCoop, and I'm very happy you brought it up so any other person interrested will think twice before enrolling (if that's still possible). As far as the refund of the membership, I'm very surprised that you wish wasn't granted. I mean, in a Coop such as the Caisse populaire Desjardins, when you open an account you have to cough 5$, but when you want to close your account they refund you. And it should of been the same with PhotoCoop, in addition to the fact that they didn't deliver as promised. Personnaly, I would of started a lawsuit against the company to get my money back. It's simply unfair for yourself and the families involved. But once they file for bankruptcy it's too late to get any money back.

After doing some Google searching I've came upon a Loi sur les coopératives du Québec.

Remboursement.

44. Sous réserve des conditions prévues à l'article 38, la coopérative peut, si un membre lui en fait la demande, lui rembourser, aux conditions prévues par règlement, les sommes qu'il a payées sur ses parts sociales autres que celles de qualification.
    Interdiction.

38. Une coopérative ne peut rembourser ni racheter une part ni payer un intérêt sur une part, si:

1° elle est insolvable ou le deviendrait par suite de ce remboursement, de ce rachat ou de ce paiement;

2° le conseil d'administration démontre que le remboursement, le rachat ou le paiement est susceptible de porter atteinte à la stabilité financière de la coopérative;

3° en raison du remboursement, du rachat ou du paiement, la coopérative ne pourrait satisfaire à ses engagements auprès des tiers qui lui accordent une aide financière.
    Good luck,
    Hai Au
    Last edited by philanthrope; 03-10-2009 at 01:17 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Did some Google research...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi,

Does anyone have and update on this co-op? Can anyway reccommend a place or a person where I can get films hand developed in Montreal? I can even provide the chemicals if necessary.

Thanks

Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know if they offer hand processing exactly but two good labs here are Photo Service on 222 Notre Dame and Dafo Eclair on rue de la Commune. Good luck.

Kathy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    "Une insitution dans le monde professionnel du développement de film et de l'impression photo fermera ses portes vendredi prochain. DAFO ÉCLAIR tire la plug, après plus de 30 ans de loyaux services. Ce commerce fût longtemps prisé par les photographes professionnels, surtout pour le développement E6 (le meilleur en ville selon plusieurs) et les tirages sur papier archive.
    Depuis plusieurs années, plusieurs labo professionnels se sont fait emporter par le tsunami provoqué par le numérique et la disparition du film argentique et peinent à subsister. La majeure partie de ces labos ne font plus maintenant que de l'impression numérique.
    Pour les derniers photographes irréductibles qui travaillent encore avec de la diapo ou du n/b, sachez que le dernier à Montréal à pouvoir développer vos rouleaux sera maintenant Boréalis."
    Last edited by sinnlicht; 03-21-2009 at 08:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missing quotation marks

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sinnlicht View Post
    "Une insitution dans le monde professionnel du développement de film et de l'impression photo fermera ses portes vendredi prochain. DAFO ÉCLAIR tire la plug, après plus de 30 ans de loyaux services. Ce commerce fût longtemps prisé par les photographes professionnels, surtout pour le développement E6 (le meilleur en ville selon plusieurs) et les tirages sur papier archive.
    Depuis plusieurs années, plusieurs labo professionnels se sont fait emporter par le tsunami provoqué par le numérique et la disparition du film argentique et peinent à subsister. La majeure partie de ces labos ne font plus maintenant que de l'impression numérique.
    Pour les derniers photographes irréductibles qui travaillent encore avec de la diapo ou du n/b, sachez que le dernier à Montréal à pouvoir développer vos rouleaux sera maintenant Boréalis."
    I had no idea Dafo was closed/closing. It's been a while since I was in there. Sorry about that.

Kathy

Shooter
    35mm
    I assume that this co-op is kaput since the website is down (sorry to hear they took you for $1500, Peter).

Does anyone know of any other places where one can get darkroom time in Montreal? I'd love to set up my own darkroom, but unfortunately, I just don't have the space in my apartment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by KWhitmore View Post
    I don't know if they offer hand processing exactly but two good labs here are Photo Service on 222 Notre Dame and Dafo Eclair on rue de la Commune.
    What do these labs do that you couldn't have done through your local drugstore?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The coop is definitively kaput, my sink came from stuff that they got rid of during their fire sale.
    Down the bin went enlargers, a color processor, timers, books that I already had or no need of

The people involved with the project had good intentions and wanted the coop the really succeed but red tape (*cough*City of Montreal*cough*) killed the project.
    Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krockmitaine View Post

The people involved with the project had good intentions and wanted the coop the really succeed but red tape (*cough*City of Montreal*cough*) killed the project.
    Marc
    What kind of 'red tape'?

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Photo film club

A friend a I are thinking of starting a club only dedicated to film in Montréal. That is unfortunate this coop did not work.

I thought of another alternative: get an empty space from the Montréal administration and, as Montrealers, get it validated as a cultural activity partly supported by the city.

I will have to get info regarding such a project, but if I gather enough people interested in sharing time with other photographers regarding FILMS, it could be possible to get a darkroom and a room where to get together and live up the fantastic world of film.

So far, I don't think there's such a club in Montréal, the digital wave having almost eradicate the film support. The only way to have a sufficient number of film photographers is to get together the film users being more or less on their own.

Send me an e-mail if there's someone interested.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin