Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,393   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cysewski View Post
    Boring is a real feeling, it is worth trying to photograph. What makes you bored, can your photographs express your boredom. I am serious, some of the best photographs are expressing what is closest to home.
    I like that oblique thinking. Once I get bored with my environs, I'll try that. But I don't. I'm located in Germany, too, and can't complain about a lack of subject matter. When I'm abroad, I find the exotic a hindrance to really seeing the essence of what's before me. So many of my photos from vacation become a cliché, literally a printing of an already made printing plate. Abroad, I find it takes an extra effort to see and create subjectively and to continue personal projects.
    Who was it that said that a good photographer should be able to turn around 180 degreees anywhere and take an interesting photograph in that direction? John Blakemore, perhaps.

Best regards, Christoph

Shooter
    Multi Format
    most of what i have photographed the last 20 + years has been
    down the road from where i live 5, 10, 20mins away.
    sometimes its just seeing what might be right in front
    of you and realizing it is there ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hear what you're saying. I live right outside NYC, arguably a place where one can not run out of things to photograph. But because I'm so familiar with the city (having spent a good number of my younger years driving a taxi in the city), there is less and less of it that sparks any sort of inspiration in me. It's all so mind-numbingly familiar that you can take me anywhere in town blindfolded and I'll know exactly where to find the next bus stop or subway station. Now, take someone who has never or rarely been here and it's a whole different situation. Still, I wouldn't trade living here for anywhere else in the world.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    i live in the middle of iowa in a small town surrounded by fields and spoted with a few wooded areas and spent last weekend tossing out probly 50 neg strips of freakin trees from a couple of years ago and now i'm cleaning house on my "abandoned house" project that at the time i thought was so inspirational untill i went through them all again to realize the same thing how many of the "same" photo do i need. thats about all there is as far as landscape/outdoor photos to take around here not much for interesting architecher or even any street shots to speak of just boring. so i feel your pain. i'm in the process of setting up a project with my tatoo artist to do some "portrates of heavily tattoo'd people it will kinda be a combo of my 2 passions (i do some amature tats from time to time) but i'm still brainstorming for some ways to do it so they dont come out too static i'm gona use my isolette and seagull i would love to do some 6x9 from my vigilant but dont have any way to trigger the strobes with it (any ideas for this are welcome it has not pc or hot shoe so pm me with any ideas)
    Last edited by ford prefect; 11-14-2008 at 08:35 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: my spelling sucks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It is very boring where I live as well, or is it, as I keep telling myself. I'm generally not a landscape "guy" as there are no great vistas to capture---perhaps in certain times of the year when the weather that is in the landscape may become the actual subject. Of late, I've been trying to look or "see", at a much closer and intimate level with what is around me on any given trip to the woods or the latest abandoned home that I may come across. I keep telling myself that the compositions are there and I just have to slow down and "see" better-----it's very challenging.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I love traveling and making photographs elsewhere, but my best photographs are made close to home or in places I've visited frequently.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh, the things I have seen and wish to see in Europe and Asia! North America can be quite boring, unless one lives close to a beautiful national park/forest/monument...et cetera. If I lived in Germany, I would utilize one of many autobahnen in order to visit Praha on the weekend. I met a pair of Bavarians who were driving from Munchen to Oslo via land-route only. It seems as though there is much to do in Europe...and Germany is not too shabby either. Though, disappointment can be found everywhere...oh, how I wish to visit and photograph Konigsberg Castle...though the Russians sought to destroy my wish when they blew it up. Perhaps, when I visit the Baltic, I shall collect bits of amber instead of visiting a void in the ground that once held great history. There are always adventures in life...only what one has to do is to take the leap into the unknown.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My "backyard" is pretty amazing...redwoods, rocky coastline (and sand dunes if I get bored with rocks), wild rivers, and coastal mountain ranges. And old barns, old bridges (including some covered ones I haven't bothered to photograph), Victorian-style buildings that I also haven't photographed, and a bunch of other stuff (fishing fleet, et al). So I can't say that I am at bored.

Then I have three 11 year old boys who will pose for me...that tosses in a twist to the landscapes!

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 11-15-2008 at 01:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    we are all surrounded by beautiful things constantly. As tourists or foreigners photographing in foreign places its easy, everything is new and nothing is routine.We have our cameras at the ready. It has nothing to do with India or Idaho. Break out of your routine, walk a new route to work. Take the bus instead of driving. Go to a bar you've never been to. Wake up earlier and take a walk with your camera.look up, look down, put your cell phone away. there are things to photograph everywhere.
    "Printing has more to do with determination than magic"
    -Charles Harbutt

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've lived on Vancouver Island for 30+ years. Not bored yet!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin