Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,971   Online: 970

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ITD
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm in the same boat. I live in Reading, UK and I haven't even seen anyone that *doesn't* live here make it look interesting! Add to that the fact that I haven't run a car for the last two years, so I have to try to find interest within public transport + walking range means most of the stuff I've taken has been whilst on holiday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's my opinion that it's all about training your eye and using your imagination. I'm just as happy making photographs in my neighborhood as I am traveling somewhere. It's HOW you look that matters.
    Challenge yourself to make beautiful or interesting photographs of mundane things, like a fence post, a road sign, a terrible looking building, a car, anything. That's a good exercise, because it helps you see the potential in things around you again.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Generally it's the people, and my connection to them that makes the place for me. Naturally, my best photographs are made at home. If I travel to a familiar place, I can make good photographs there, too. Totally strange places with unfamiliar people... that's hard. And unless I plan to stay for an extended period of time, I don't make many pictures.

Then again, I might be quite moved by experiencing a new or unusual landscape, but I'm not a landscape photographer. (Got to put some people in there, somewhere!! ) I just don't make the same emotional connection to the land as I do to the people there with me... so, as much as I am able.. I like to incorporate different landscapes in my people pix.

Good luck finding that spark...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    Does it have to be?

I have been living in Germany for about 10 years now.

I find wherever I go... there are great things to photograph. Almost every inch of France is wonderful. Cambodia, laos, Turkey, Morocco, Egypt, Columbia, Peru... etc. etc.... all are GREAT to take photos....

But Germany is soooooooooo boring. I am always frustrated that I cannot find anything to float my boat.

is it because there is nothing "Exotic"?

Folks I know here on vacation find many, many things indeed.

How many others have troubles finding things to photograph when close to home?

Best
    Chris
    I think its only natural to think your own area or country is boring as you have been there for so many years. Going abroad to very different places will obviously excite most people. I'm sure if I went to your home town in Germany I'd find plenty to interest me.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It took me a real effort to realise that the area around my home town is "exotic" to 99.995% of the world's population.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you need to change your attitude about where you are.Pretend your a tourist.What else does that area have to offer from a cultural standpoint? What shows,events,festivities are availabe in that area or within reasonable distance? Their should be tourist publications or events listed in the newspaper.If this don't work,well,you have the rest of Europe.Welcome to APUG.Pony!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    Does it have to be?

I have been living in Germany for about 10 years now.

I find wherever I go... there are great things to photograph. Almost every inch of France is wonderful. Cambodia, laos, Turkey, Morocco, Egypt, Columbia, Peru... etc. etc.... all are GREAT to take photos....
    Best
    Chris
    Sounds to me like you have a bit too much wealth and luxury for your own good. You get to travel all over the world and make tourist pictures and so you go home and get bored. Maybe you are bored with yourself and your life. I am making a series of photographs called "My life looks like this". It is photos in my own house of the peculiar natural still life and inner landscape stuff that happens while living. It is interesting to be alive. I don't have to run all over the world and look at other people living to avoid being bored. Ocassionally I do make a trip. But I do it with a certain amount of reverance and appreceation of people living their lives and mostly unable to afford the privilage of travel.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes it's a matter of being visually bored with the region you live in. Sometimes it's that the visual attributes of where you live just don't suit your style or chosen subject matter. I like wide open minimal spaces yet I live in an area of extremely high population density. My solution is to travel. I also enjoy travel and really enjoy seeing places with inspiring geography.

The point is that shoot whatever you like, where ever you like. There are no rules that say it's wrong to travel to shoot, it's less convenient but you gotta shoot what you feel compelled to shoot, not what just happens to be readily available.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Sounds to me like you have a bit too much wealth and luxury for your own good.
    Nope, My first half of my traveling career was done with a rifle and backpack, my second half with an almost empty pocket and backpack.

Traveling is how I get to know my world. It has always been my biggest priority and there has been little luxury attached to it.

Given the choice between seeing my neighbor polishing his BMW or watching rice paddy workers, between watching the check out girl at the local supermarket or rug sellers in Istanbul... I will always take the latter.

I think there is a difference of cultures here. Living in Europe a trip to Egypt or Nigeria or India .... is just as easy as a Canadian flying to Florida or a New Yorker flying to LA. Geographically it is no big deal. Add 6 weeks vacation a year to the pot and work for an airline.... Skipping watching the BMW polisher all summer has become a no brainer.

best
    Chris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    It took me a real effort to realise that the area around my home town is "exotic" to 99.995% of the world's population.
    When I lived in Johannesburg as a kid and went to Cape Town on vacation I went to the beach every day.

When I lived in Cape Town... I seldom went at all.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin