Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,886   Online: 1016

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Growing up, I lived in California (USA Left Coast) and never grew tired of what was in the desert or mountains with respect to photography. I never ran out of things to shoot.

Now (still in the USA, I think) I live in Oklahoma. Relatively flat land, mostly torn up by mining and oil operations or housing construction. Here, it's like somebody is thinking "This is a pretty place - let's dig it up".

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori8x10 View Post
    Bill, notice my quotation marks? When I talk about my own "backyard" I mean pretty much anywhere in San Diego County.
    I feel for you there Tori. I too am under the same kinds of demands, get the same kind of calls, etc. The roles are reversed in my house as I am "mom" and I work at home. I have a 4 and a half year old boy running underfoot almost constantly with all the demands that any woman has in that role. Shuttling to and from pre-school, soccer, laundry, etc. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    The inability of a husband to find a child's socks, boots, mittens, whatever... is a universal. Isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori8x10 View Post
    (LOL, the men that are reading this probably won't understand why that sentence is so absurd... and I'll probably get flamed for saying that).
    My wife can be worse than any man when it comes to these things! I've actually received a call while working in Iceland asking why the TV wouldn't work! It doesn't keep me from my work because it is something that has to be done. It's just the way it is and it has to be dealt with. It can be done.

Good luck!
    Last edited by billschwab; 11-17-2008 at 09:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
    I literally shot some film in my back yard yesterday after the rain came.
    I do that a lot, too. Well, I have a garden that attracts birds and insects, so I literally never tire of taking photos there. Almost all of my best bird shots are done there or in the field beyond, simply because I know the animals and can predict their behaviour, and it's easy to get out there for an hour after work or so.

Antje

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    The inability of a husband to find a child's socks, boots, mittens, whatever... is a universal. Isn't it? (Ducks from the flames... )

And I let all that stuff pile up. Granted... the house is a mess, but if it weren't I wouldn't have the pictures I've made. Some time ago, I saw an interview with JK Rowling about when she first started writing the Harry Potter books. She was a single mom, and would go to a local cafe, and the interviewer asked how did she get her house work done while writing the book. She simply said... I didn't!!

Priorities.
    Housework is overrated anyway. My mom visited last week, and this week she made an appointment with a local company doing window cleaning for us. Or our house, rather. Now she's welcome to visit more often! They'll come tomorrow and wash the windows. Wonderful. I plan on measuring the EV before and after. Ha.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live in a forest, with a big lake nearby. I'm getting very tired of tree, lake, mountain and "vista" pictures. I found an old logging road a couple of weeks ago that ended up with a great view of the lake and mountains. I dragged my 4x5 up there, took a lot of pictures but in the end they were the same old pictures I take with the 35mm - more mountains, lake, trees.
    I'm going to make an effort to think small. Leaves, bark, puddles, smaller plants and the lake edge. Starting about now there will be a recurring background of white in most of these pictures.
    The house exchange sounds like a good idea in any case. Anyone want to look after 4 dogs for a while? You would have to want snow and know or learn how to run a tractor (to plough the very long driveway).
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    I live in Berlin, and I am bored out of my mind. But there is help! I'm in the suburbs, and whenever I go into the city, I find loads of stuff to take pictures of. This kinda thing might not work if you live in the midwest, or in Sweden or whereever, but it usually boils down to exploring your own location further.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin