Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,288   Online: 1197

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off to Vietnam

Shooter
    Medium Format

Off to Vietnam

I'm leaving in a little over two weeks and I'm almost beside myself with excitement. I have two weeks and will be staying with some family members who are stationed at the consulate at HCMC. We won't make Hanoi this trip, I expect to go back, but we will do Hue and Da Nang.

I worked myself up into quite a lather about the film and the xray thing, finally deciding not to worry about it. I'll be shooting some TXP 220, so I don't have to change so often in my 645, and some 35 color, of course.

I've searched the forums and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of things to see. From clues my father left me, I know he was at Nha Trang in special ops. He never talked about his time in the war at all. I'm wondering if that is worth a day trip.

I've been to Laos, Cambodia and Thailand, but for some odd reason, this trip is different. One of my friends in HCMC bought a stack of photos from Saigon, early 70's off of Ebay, and I spent some time cleaning them up and scanning them for a museum project. I don't know that I've ever been so fascinated by snapshots in my life.

Anyway, sorry for the babble. Any tips would be great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't forget to enjoy the food. According to Anthony Bourdain, it's really good.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck, have a great trip and take lots of pics. Spent some time there many years ago courtesy of Uncle Sam. Some day I would like to get back for a look myself as I'm sure things look quite different today.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    I left Vietnam in 75 and the last time I came back was 98. There are a lot to see but I can't think of now. I say enjoy and be careful because there are many crooks over there even goverment officials.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bring mosquito repellent, a stomach for spicy fish sauce, a good work ethic, and a huge sense of humor and you will get along fine with the Vietnamese people.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Bring mosquito repellent, a stomach for spicy fish sauce, a good work ethic, and a huge sense of humor and you will get along fine with the Vietnamese people.
    Ah, the fish sauce. Suddenly I can smell the Nuc Mum again, ugh!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I spent 4 months working in the northern half of the country, and I'd go back in a heartbeat. The food is great, the people are nice and the scenery is awesome. If you can get to the Central Highlands you won't be disappointed, but the photographic opportunities are everywhere. I was on my own for a month, and never felt uncomfortable going for walks in the city or countryside. Take a GPS so you'll know where you are, especially if you get lost as easily as I do.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was hoping you'd weigh in, John. I just found out I'll be going to Hoi An, and My Lai as well as the DMZ. The Deputy Counsul (sp?) will be showing us around. I've been reading up on stuff. Wish I could go north, but it won't be this trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to say, when I was there, I had other things on my mind, but even so, you could see that it "could be" a beautiful country to visit under other circumstances. Those thoughts were fleeting at the time, however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can only speak about Hanoi and north, which is stunning. It's a shame you can't charter a boat for a few days in Ha Long (sp?) bay in the north.

The street life in Hanoi is how you would imagine New York City at the turn of last century.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin