Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,358   Online: 846

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ganesh Photo lab, Kathmandu

Hey guys.

I just wanted to really give this place a solid plug.

I dropped off 14 rolls (after getting a test roll done a couple of days ago) of HP5 in 120 two days ago and picked them up today and simply had to stop by here tonight and say how awesome the experience was.

for $3.20 USD, I got each roll developed in D-70 with a proof sheet done too on Ilford RC. I have no idea how they do this, but back in NZ I'm not even sure I can buy the materials for this price I don't think, yet alone the labour.

When I went to pick them up, the owner was there to greet me, went through my negs to make sure they met his standards, and after asking him, happily showed me his darkroom. Wow. Hugh marble sinks that had been there since the business has opened back in '75, and while everything looked so well worn, you could tell that room had seen some magic too. He had 3 enlargers too, the biggest would handle 4x5, which is something worth noting for my next trip here!

He also showed me another room where he had a whole series of prints of Nepal, some made from glass plates dating back to the 40's and earlier.

The whole thing was just such an awesome experience in a city that's really quite poor by western standards. Even if you develop your own films, it's still worth getting some done at the Ganesh Photo Lab in Kathmandu if you're ever here. He too, seemed quite bummed about the fall off of business (something we all know too well).

Anyway, I said I'd keep this brief so I'd better call it quits now. I just hope I can sleep tonight after this touching experience.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 12-11-2008 at 12:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yours is a vicarious fantasy trip for us. PLEASE, do not feel any need to keep your reportage brief. I for one would like to read every thought and impression that you feel is fit to print.

John Powers
    Old man wishing he were not
    in an arm chair in
    Ohio, USA.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Yours is a vicarious fantasy trip for us. PLEASE, do not feel any need to keep your reportage brief. I for one would like to read every thought and impression that you feel is fit to print.

John Powers
    Old man wishing he were not
    in an arm chair in
    Ohio, USA.
    Most of my reason for keeping things short is the fact im browsing and posting from my mobile phone via the awesome Opera Mini browser. I just couldn't wait to get home to a computer to report how over the moon i was with getting my films developed here thus saving of a heck of a lot of time when i get home and letting me start printing asap.

It's been a brilliant trip so far though and Nepal is such i cool, quirky and mindblowing country though. Expect a bit more of a report and hopefully some photos (if any are decent!) After i get back to NZ on the 23rd.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Expect a bit more of a report and hopefully some photos (if any are decent!) After i get back to NZ on the 23rd.

Looking forward to it. Have a great time. Be safe.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is really interesting, and impressive. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experiences from your trip. Keep posting!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Chris, good to hear about the lab. Please post the address too. Hope you had a good time, did you do any trekking and if so, which one?
    All the best foro 2009, Frank

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    i am from that place call bhimsenthan and he is our relative. i grew up there and i know bit of history about the family business. he is full of bluff and a very selfish man. he is just capitalizing his father's and forefather's assets (ie the valualbe paintings) and also with lot of force and intimidation to his brothers who have the equal rights. i don't care about their family matters but,

he is kind with people where he sees his objective and he is a pain to many. he treats neighbours as shit' and he thinks he is great. my dad is building a house which is attached to their old house. and he has filed a petition without no reason and creating hassle. this recent incident makes me frustrated

he has split personality. next time when u visit this great place, don't forget to ask neighbours and surrounding shops and people about him or ask me more.

sorry if i hurt the feeling but i thought i should show you the other side of coin
    Last edited by anuj; 12-28-2008 at 03:50 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo error

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin