Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,698   Online: 804

Shooter
    Large Format

A Week in New Mexico. Itinerary?

I am heading to New Mexico next week and will stay for a week. Will be flying in and out of Albuquerque. Main purpose is photography (Landscapes and to a lesser extent culture) and to a lesser extent birding (No interest in bird photography). What do you suggest for an itinerary?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Stop by Ojo Caliente for some natural hot springs. It's an amazing place. Not far from Santa Fe and a great area for photography.
    http://ojocalientesprings.com/resort.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Downtown Santa Fe is a fascinating place that's loaded with cultural and architectural photo opportunities. Great spot for street photography too.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hanny:

There are so many landscape shots in NM. If your coming north toward Santa Fe, there is a place called Tent Rocks (used to be Teepee Rocks, but now PC), The Valles Caldera (extint volcano), Soda Dam (a travertine (marble) dam made by deposits of a hot spring), San Jose de Garcia Church in Las Trampas, NM, and many more.

Then If your going south from ABQ, City of Rocks State Park between Deming and Silver City is wild. Rock outcropings just pushing out of the ground in the middle of a flat plain. At exit 63 on I25 the road leads you through a pass to Silver city with some stunning views and corkscrew roads.

Hoep this helps

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't forget White Sands

Shooter
    35mm
    If you head west out of albuquerque on i-40 and then hang a right on "paseo de volcan" you can check out the volcanoes. They're pretty neat and not much of a drive.

There is also the "glass graveyard," an old dump from the early 1900s that was repeatedly burned so all that's left is old glass. It's beautiful at night (with a moon). Send me a PM and I will give you directions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been to the glass graveyard during the day. Not so nice.

Don't forget four corners and ship rock. The Taos Gorge. The town of Abiquiu and Ghost Ranch.

You can try to find the "famous spot" in Hernandez.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    I've been to the glass graveyard during the day. Not so nice.

Don't forget four corners and ship rock. The Taos Gorge. The town of Abiquiu and Ghost Ranch.

You can try to find the "famous spot" in Hernandez.
    I've been to the church in Hernandez that Adams photographed. I photographed it from the front (Adams shot it from the back)

I lived in Santa Fe for a couple of years and went for the spots off the tourist track. Check out the old mining town of Cerrillos, lots of neat old buildings.

If you go there, say hi to Mary Mora. She's 92 years old and has owned the bar in Cerrillos since the 1940s.

Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin