Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,438   Online: 854

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I unfortunately will be trapped in the midst of that scrum, by virtue of the fact that I live less than 25 blocks from the White House. I am hosting out-of-town guests for the event. I am hoping the weather is sufficiently miserable that day that they will content themselves with watching it on TV. If I am dragged to it forcibly, I'll just bring along the Rollei or something similarly small and easy to work with.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll be around (we Feds get the day off anyway), but don't know whether I'll be shooting seriously or not.
    "Unequalled in the quality and scope of its lenses . . . the performance of its shutter . . . the perfection of its film system . . . the adaptability contributed by its interchangeable backs . . . the efficiency of its coupled range finder . . . the convenience and precision of its variable-power view finder, the Ektra can produce finer results, throughout a wider range, than any other existing camera."
    --Eastman Kodak prospectus for Ektra, 1940

My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a paid holiday for all federal employees as well as most contractors. Schools in Montgomery County (where I live) will be closed. Just trying to get within 10 miles of the Capitol is far more work than I expend in a normal workday. So, I intend to watch it on TV with my family.

To quote Beldar Conehead: "Ahhh, Inauguration Day. We will observe the consecration of your new High Master utilizing your primitive image digitization device. We will enjoy it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    By the way, someone in my research group has an apartment not too far from the events, beside Capitol Hill. They will be away and are looking to rent out their place, so if anybody has interest they could PM me and I will pass it on. I gather that they don't have a direct view but are a few minutes walk from it all.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I just picked up a 50-pack of HP5 from Freestyle, so I am ready. I am taking off tomorrow afternoon to stay in Twentynine Palms with a friend for the night. Monday morning, the true cross-country journey begins. Las Cruces, NM the first night, Houston the next, then Jasper, Alabama, Nashville, and Richmond. Then up to Washington for three nights (Alexandria for one, Silver Spring, MD for two). No definite plans for routes on the way back yet. Wish I had the time and money to stay off the interstates, but another time. I'm bringing my FD kit (several bodies and backup bodies, 17, 28, 50, 55, and 200mm lenses), my Nikon F with 35 and 135mm lenses (I no longer have these lenses for FD.), my Blackbird, Fly, my M645 kit in case I want to shoot some landscapes along the way, and my Eastman View No. 2 5x7 and a box of FP4 just for the heck of it, my Bogen 3051, my monopod, my Pentax Digital Spot Meter, Brockway (Sekonic) incident meter, and a Sunpak 555 (just in case). A lot of crap that I probably will not use. For the inauguration itself, I will just have a few 35s.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-11-2009 at 01:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    if you want to meet up when you get to Richmond let me know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was downtown today and it's already FUBAR. My advice is to get there *early* on Inauguration Day unless you want to spend an hour or two getting through a security checkpoint. Bring lots of film, but keep your kit light and dress for the weather. In 2001, I remember a steady cold rain. If you're on the parade route, stake out a spot early, but you won't have a lot of mobility. On the Mall, you'll be able to wander through the circus, but will probably miss the parade--which is generally pretty lame.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Well, I just picked up a 50-pack of HP5 from Freestyle,
    You had me at 50-pack of HP5.

Seriously, have a great trip!
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Roadtrip!

Sounds like most excellet fun. Wish I could tag along but, alas....work, wife, kids...eh, you get the idea.

Have fun and be safe!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ....whoa....all I said is, "For the inauguration itself, I will just have a few 35s."

You mean the "jackbooted thugs", as the NRA called them (which caused G.H.W. Bush to give up his lifetime membership)?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin