Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,707   Online: 1168

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way back when, I covered Nixon's second one officially. But I was in the parade de-marshalling area, and didn't get to see any of the ceremony. Did meet a lot of interesting protesters though.
    Dress warmly, in layers and travel light, but you probably already know that.
    Above all, have a good time, and be safe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Houston. 2,050 miles logged so far, about 600 of which have been on interstates, and 1,500 of which I have driven myself. Have been zig zagging north and south on state and local highways. This is a beautiful country.

First (partial) day: L.A. to 29 Palms. Slept at a friend's for three hours.
    Second day: 29 Palms to Needles to Flagstaff to Sedona to Pie Town to Socorro to Las Cruces (Interstate from Needles to Flagstaff and Socorro to Las Cruces; the only interstate on the trip thus far, aside from the 10 to 29 Palms). Slept at rest stop for three hours.
    Third day: Las Cruces to White Sands to Alamogordo to Hobbs to Abilene to Brownwood to Austin. Slept at a friend of the family's for six hours.
    Fourth (partial) day: Austin to Eagle Creek to Richmond to Houston. Slept with my copilot's distant family (in bed right now, hopefully for 4.5 hours!)
    Tomorrow: Jasper, AL will be our destination, to stay with Hot Wanda for the night. The earlier we get there, the more sleep we get! Yet again, no interstates unless weather dictates so. Planning on taking a great looking route that will put us through some fun terrain, including a few national forests. The three back to back cold fronts will determine whether or not we actually get there (and/or in one piece)!

The most amazing things so far have been White Sands (lost three hours of travel poking around this small national monument that has only 8 miles of road!) and Highway 82 through the Sacramento mountains. I shot not one pic on 82, so I have to go back. I didn't even start because we had lost time at White Sands, and I want to go back and really get it well, with some big color film and plenty of time.

I have used every piece of equip. I brought so far, except for the 645 kit and one of my Canon bodies. At least the MF kit is small. Maybe it will see some use on the way back, when I can stop more to shoot some landscapes instead of the vignettes and people I have been shooing so far. I have been rolling with four cameras loaded with HP5. An F-1 with a 50 1.4 and one with a 28 2.0 in my lap, an AE-1 with a 200mm 2.8 IF on the floor, and a Nikon F with a 135 3.5 on the console. A loaded AE-1 with Delta 3200 and a 55 1.2 is in the Haliburton case if needed, along with an HP5-loaded FTb with a 17 4.0 and an unloaded Blackbird, Fly. My Eastman View No. 2 5x7 is ready to go as well, and I have shot 8 frames with it so far using a taped-on Super Angulon 121mm 8.0 with no shutter (the only lens I brought for it). So far I have shot 6 rolls of HP5 and two rolls of Delta 3200 (both tonight, in downtown Houston).

This is very fun.

Should be sleeping now. Goodnight!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-15-2009 at 01:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    In Houston. 2,050 miles logged so far, about 600 of which have been on interstates, and 1,500 of which I have driven myself.
    Wow! This sounds crazy to me.

I wouln't walk as far as the end of my road to see a new British prime minister take office!

Sounds like you're making the most of it though by visiting places and friends which you wouldn't normally see.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Not that you don't have enough to do, but keep us informed when you can. This trip sounds wonderful. Drive safely.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Wow! This sounds crazy to me.

I wouln't walk as far as the end of my road to see a new British prime minister take office!

Steve.
    Steve,
    The drive isn't bad when you're seeing things. It's the dull periods that makes it a grueling drive, like I-10 across Texas, or any driving in Kansas. When I was a service tech in south Florida, I'd average 1400-1700 miles per week bouncing back and forth from Sebastian to Key West along the east coast. I did that for about 7 years before becoming a cubicle dweller (aka corporate whore, office bitch).
    One of the nicest drives in FL is that run from Key Largo to Key West. Anywhere along that route at sunrise, with the Atlantic Ocean on one side of the road and the Gulf of Mexico on the other side. Sunset works too!
    Deals Gap in NC is another pretty drive. 318 turns in 11 miles. Great fun for those with motorcycles!

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Roanoke, VA, with 3,300 miles so far. Made it from Jasper, AL (near Birmingham) today. First motel of the trip! To Richmond tomorrow to stay with family. DC for the next three days, then back to Richmond, and home.

Steve, the inauguration is really just an excuse for a road trip! Road trips are heaven to me, and it has been way too long since my last one. I also want to be there, and I want to be shooting there, because this sort of thing is what I love to shoot. I am glad to be staying off of the interstates. it is the only way to really see the country, and I have never really done it before. When I barreled across the country after getting out of the Navy, I did it in two days, and largely at night, so missed a lot.

I did not think I would handle the cold so well, but it really is not that bad, even at 10F in Jasper last night.

Still shooting the FD stuff. Haven't even cracked out the Mamiya yet. Just about a dozen rolls for b/w 35mm, and a handful of 5x7 sheets.
    On the way back, will be taking the Blue Ridge Parkway down to NC after taking my codriver to Monticello. I saw it years ago, and would like to see it again.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back home last night after 7,617 miles. What a beautiful country. Drove through that freezing rain storm mess in Oklahoma and the Ozarks for two days, so the car is totally blasted. The ice didn't totally slough off the car until Hernandez, NM two days later. Went through northwestern NM, Northeastern AZ, Grand Staircase, and Zion yesterday afternoon. WOWZERS!!! The only landscape that rivaled NC and TN for sheer beauty. After Zion, it was only 4 p.m., so I decided to cut a day off the journey, and barreled home on I-15, unlike most of the trip, which was made on U.S. Highways, state routes, and other smaller roads. Today is to decompress, then work all day tomorrow from 6:30 to 7 p.m....assiting for a shoot at a martial arts tourney downtown....

I am ready for more, I can tell you that...but glad to unload my ball and chain of a traveling companion.

As for film, I took care of a 50-pack of HP5...timed perfectly. Finished that last few shots at home last night. I also shot about ten rolls of Delta 3200, plus maybe 6 or 8 rolls of 120 through the Mamiya.

As for equipment, I used everything I brought except for my Sunpak, several things broke, malfunctioned, or were abused. I am surprised my Pentax digital Spotmeter is still alive after being dropped at the top of a concrete embankment at the top of a bridge, and sliding 50 feet down to the railroad tracks (between Salisbuty MD and Virginia Beach), and then being left in a frozen snowy field for three hours in Forgan, OK. I drove back 60 miles to get it that time. I dropped an AE-1 with my 200mm f/2.8 IF onto the rocks of the Mississippi River in Natchez, LA, and it busted the [formerly] mint lens off the camera. I put the lens back together but a small piece that connects the aperture ring to the internal stop-down lever is missing. I replaced the lens with another copy at Penn Camera near Washington...I debated it, but in the end I am glad I spent the $200, as I used the lens for some of my best shots at the inauguration.

Thanks for all the offers of help. I just didn't have the need for any this trip, and had limited Internet time and a fairly tight schedule, driving 12 hours a day (plus) for 20 days.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-30-2009 at 01:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I really hope you have the time to post some of these images.

I can imagine the thoughts running through your head as you realized the meter was missing and where it might be.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a fabulous trip (I'm Jealous). It is interesting to read what others choose to use (film/camera) and even more interesting to see what they shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, despite being this close to DC, it just wasn't possible for me to go up. My class was at 2 pm and the university only canceled classes through 2pm! It would have taken me a good 5 or 6 hours to come back, most of that time getting through the beltway.

So, instead I went to our sports arena, where the inauguration was broadcast on the big screens. Took a mamiya 6 and pro z. I couldn't get the shot I wanted in a single frame, so I took two and did a combined-frame pano using (gasp) photoshop. Here it is:

http://keithwilliamsphoto.net/obama/...l_1_large.html

Apologies to anyone offended by the non-analogue post processing
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin