Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,172   Online: 775

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The inauguration

Anyone here going to be at the inauguration?

I will be making a cross-country drive from Los Angeles. Will be settling at a home base in Richmond, staying in Alexandria the night before the night before the inauguration, and staying with someone in D.C. the night before and night of.

Definite stops so far include: Austin and/or Houston, TX, Lafayette, LA, New Orleans, LA, Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC, New Bern, NC.

If weather looks to be reasonable, I may even make a little leap up to N.Y.C. I highly doubt weather will be reasonable, however. Too bad, as I would love to hit Detroit on the way back.

I will definitely by shooting; prob. mostly 35 with Delta 3200.

Anyone else going? What are your plans?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You and 50 million other people trying to occupy the same space.

Having covered most inaugurations since Reagan in 1981, I'm skipping this one unless someone is willing to pay me a lot of money to attend. Just knowing we have a new president is enough joy for me. I see DC too often as is. Rather stay on the farm or go to Baltimore.

Have fun.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'll be there shooting. I did a photo essay on the 2001 inauguration and am planning to bookend it with another essay on the 2009 inauguration.

Last edited by Barry S; 12-15-2008 at 08:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My 18 year old "baby girl" gets to go, but sadly not me.

Have fun 2F/2F
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool deal, Barry. If you see a pair of guys shooting pix, one of whom looks like Fidel Castro and the other of whom looks like Charles Manson (some say Rabbi Yeshua Ben Yosef), come and say "Hi".
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Cool deal, Barry. If you see a pair of guys shooting pix, one of whom looks like Fidel Castro and the other of whom looks like Charles Manson (some say Rabbi Yeshua Ben Yosef), come and say "Hi".
    Be sure to post a couple of shots when you come back. That trip sounds wonderful. I'd love to join ya. Swing by Phoenix on your way out, okay?

I'm one-quarter serious, but I have to work. That would be an amazing trip.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh lordy, I imagine it to be sort of like a superposition of the annual cherry mayhem with extremely bad weather!

I live 2 hrs from DC and plan to maintain that comfortable distance! Why we have our inaugs in January is beyond me. I mean, one of our Presidents actually died as a result of that. (Quick trivia! Which one was it?)

Well I wish you the very best, that's all I can say! If you come down to Charlottesville....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    William Henry Harrison. He was inauagurated in March, though.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh yes it was March. Oh well, not the greatest weather then either! And according to wikipedia my facts are wrong, he didn't really die as a direct result of that exposure.

Apparently Pres. Harrison was also the first US president to be photographed.

On March 26, Harrison became ill with a cold. The presumptive story, which has become common knowledge despite its falsity, is that the inauguration day exposure was the cause of his illness. In fact, it was more than three weeks after the inauguration before Harrison showed the first signs of ill health. The cold worsened, rapidly turning to pneumonia and pleurisy.[48] According to the prevailing medical misconception of that time, microorganisms being then unknown, it was believed that his illness was directly caused by the bad weather, when, in fact, he was likely a victim of the common cold virus, exacerbated by the drastic pressures of his changed circumstances.
    Wait, it gets more interesting....

Harrison's doctors tried cures, applying opium, castor oil, Virginia snakeweed, and even actual snakes. But the treatments only made Harrison worse, and he became delirious.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    As with Pinholemaster, I was working in DC for both Reagan, Bush 41, and both Clinton inaugurals. I had moved to IL by bush 43 (who wants to see an idiot made president).

BTW, I never got to the actual inaugral, I was working.
    Last edited by JOSarff; 12-16-2008 at 11:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin