Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,911   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&H is amazing. The conveyor belt system alone is worth the visit.

A visit there on December 7 was fantastic. The staff were very friendly (except for our checkout person, but she was pleasant enough). I would go again in a heartbeat.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    many thanks for all of the really helpful responses - it's been great.

appreciate, also, the advice wrt hand v machine process. my experience in the uk perhaps colours my judgement where the processors run all through a machine and what you get back ends up pretty much flat and gray. should not necessarily expect the same result in nyc.

would it be the consensus that hand developing is not essential or perhaps not even necessary as the named processors can do a good job with their machine developing route?

thanks again. if i get the opportunity (time and planning may be tight as this is essentially a business trip and photo ops will be very ad hoc) i'll maybe buy beers for those available. next time we're across, i plan to build in more time to relax and see the place/meet the people.

cheers
    lp

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Custom labs with a Refrema (as opposed to a roller transport machine) dedicated to B&W tend to be pretty serious B&W labs. This is a big, expensive machine that requires its own room and can process a whole roll of film hanging from a rack, rather than spooled on a reel, by dipping it in huge chemistry tanks. Sixty-Eight Degrees was doing good work when I last visited them, but as I say, I haven't been down there in a year or two.

The advantage of hand processing is you might have more choices of developer, and the person who does the processing might develop by inspection to adjust development time on the fly and make sure you've got printable negs, so long as your exposure is in the ballpark. It requires some experience and judgment to do this well, and not all labs that hand process do it. Some might hand process B&W just because they don't do enough volume in B&W to justify owning a machine.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Calumet is at 22 W. 22nd Street. To get there take the #1 train from 59th St./Columbus Circle station to 23rd St. The #1 train runs down 7th Ave. in that part of town, approximately 1 1/2 blocks west of your destination. Adorama is only four blocks south at 42 W. 18th St. Both stores are on the south sides of their respective streets, between 5th and 6th Aves. B&H is at the corner of 34th St. and 9th Ave. To get there, take the A, C, or E train to 34th St. The A is express and the C and E trains are local, but that doesn't matter. 34th St. is only a few stops away. The station for these trains is on 8th Ave, leaving you one block east of the store.

Navigating midtown Manhattan between 14th and 59th St. is dead easy. All the streets are in a grid pattern and intersect at right angles. The street numbers increase as you move further north or uptown. Avenue numbers increase from east to west. Broadway is an exception because it traverses the island diagonally from northwest to southeast. I crosses 8th Ave at Columbus Circle, 7th Ave at 45th St., 6th Ave at 34th St., and 5th Ave. at 23rd St. There are a few avenues on the east side, which lie between 3rd and 5th Aves. From east to west these are Lexington, Park, and, above 23rd. St., Madison Ave.

Any of the stores mentioned will have film for you at very competitive prices. I can't help you with places for processing it since I do that myself. Others here have far better information than I about that. However, one or two passes through the hand baggage x-ray machine should not be a problem.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not consider sending your exposed film home in a box via Express Mail or UPS or Fed Ex? I'm not certain that they are x-ray free, but I'd be surprised if there would be a problem as I get my fresh film that way in the first place, and damage by zapping just isn't a concern.

In any event, visit B&H if you can. I disagree about the "attitude". I've always been treated extremely well there, and Henry Posner of that enterprise checks in here from time to time, and would be likely to be very responsive to any problems you might encounter...but I can't imagine you will. It's a wonderland of gear, and you can expect to experience palpitations at minimum!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did exactly as John suggests when I was there last month. I bought a bunch of film at B&H (and later some at Adorama that I forgot to buy at B&H, and I loaded it into a box along with some other stuff (like souvenirs) and shipped it home. We have gotten in the habit of doing this on trips to keep the luggage weight down, but it saved a few x-rays.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin