Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,874   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Havasu City?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Havasu City?

OK. In a moment of desperation for a way to get out of the cold and use up a time-share week at the same time, I've booked a week in late March in Lake Havasu City, AZ. Anyone got any pointers for good photo-ops within an hour or so? I know there are LOTS of places three or more hours out, but I'm looking for the neighborhood shots. I do not wish to immortalize the misplaced London Bridge. I'll be shooting a Retina Reflex 35 and a Rolleiflex 3.5., my favorite traveling duo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Whitey,

You're not too far from Joshua Tree when in Havasu. A little more than the hour you mentioned, but well worth it. Could be a really great day trip. Depending upon how far you want to drive, there are a couple good circle type drives you could do into California. North to 40, west to Needles and up or down 95 for a way. It's a great stretch of Highway in either direction. North you could go just shy of Las Vegas, cut over to 93 and go back through Kingman. South you can go all the way to 10 and east to Quartzite and up through Parker. You can also go west further on 40 and hit the Mojave reserve and go south to old Route 66 and hit Amboy. There's a great old Route 66 gas station there, but I can't remember the name now. Really cool sign if you're into that kind of thing.

Hell... it's all good. You're going to have a great time.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As mentioned, Route 66 is close by. Old motels, gas stations, junk cars, etc. can be interesting. Another place is Lake Powell Recreation Area. Some beautiful red rock, the lake, etc. are very photogenic. Much of the area reminds me of an old cowboy movie.
    Speaking of old cowboy movies, check out this link: http://www.lvlg.com/lasvegas/attracts/ghstwns.htm
    Several of these old ghost towns were used for the movies in the 40's and 50's. Oatman, AZ is pretty neat, with a shootout at noon every day.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another place is Lake Powell Recreation Area.
    Lake Powell is certainly beautiful- spent a couple of nights at Wahweap in the late 80's, but Page, AZ is 343 miles from Lake Havasu City! Not exactly an hour or so away. The Route 66 stuff sounds great, I'll be sure to do as much as I can. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you need someone to carry your luggage??!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Hoover Damn ? - its only a couple of hours from Havasu

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Martin. Good idea. I'll probably make that one - especially since I'm flying in to Las Vegas, practically next door to the thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's lots of cool stuff in that area. Check out Kingman, AZ, especially the old downtown with dozens of thrift and and antique stores and friendly natives - striking scenery all around.

Shooter
    35mm
    Too bad you can't get into Havasu falls - the water is spectacular.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll try to make Kingman for sure. Havasu Falls looks to be closed to tourist traffic for a bit, I'm afraid. Thanks all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin