Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,278   Online: 804

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all of your advice. Time to start looking at maps.

Quote Originally Posted by delphine View Post
    Silverprint is definitely walking distance from Kingsley / Tottenham Ct Road. Camden would be a hike.

It's all walking distance to me! I've done Waterloo to Camden and back before and I have all day to spare this time. My friends who live in London are always surprised at the distances I walk which don't really seem that great to me. If it was out in the countryside instead of a city, it would be considered a short leisurely hike!

Definitely going to go to Aperture for lunch again. What a great combination. Camera store and Café in the same building!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It's all walking distance to me!
    It is Steve, but the days are short at this season .. there is just so much you would be able to squeeze in.
    Last edited by delphine; 01-26-2009 at 06:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    On the rare occasions that I visit London (last time being probably five years ago) I always prefer, like Steve, to walk everywhere. There's always something interesting to see or a shop full of odd things to look around (and I don't mean the ones where everything comes in a plain wrapper!) that are missed if travelling by the underground. Being a hayseed, though, a day is the most I can stand and by then I'm at screaming pitch with the constant traffic and noise. Have a good day in the Big Smoke!

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Being a hayseed, though, a day is the most I can stand and by then I'm at screaming pitch with the constant traffic and noise. Have a good day in the Big Smoke!
    Same here. I think one day will be more than enough. In the 1980's and 1990s taxi brakes squealing used to get on my nerves. They don't seem so bad now.

The first few times I went to London I used to use the underground to get everywhere. Then I visited a friend who lived there and all the places we went to which I used to use the tube for were now just around the corner from the last place.

Now I print off bits of maps (from Google maps) of the places I want to go to and walk. I expect I will do about six miles on Friday.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, two obvious points of interest are Classic cameras which is a few minutes walk from Aperture and Red Dot Cameras which is a bit further a field but well worth a visit. Whilst you are there I would recommend popping in to the Artillery Arms as it serves a lovely pint.

If you go to Silverprint, I would also recommend popping into Borough Market which is not only a great photo opportunity, but a great place to visit.

Brian

Brian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jeffery View Post
    If you go to Silverprint, I would also recommend popping into Borough Market which is not only a great photo opportunity, but a great place to visit.
    O.K. Just looked that up.

I could do Silverprint then the Tate Modern followed by the market (assuming you meant the one on Soutwark Street).

That's another section of map printed out.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, here's the Borough Market web site. If you get there at lunch time you'll have no problem getting something to eat. It's just across the road from London Bridge station so you want you can train or tube from there.

Brian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jeffery View Post
    If you get there at lunch time you'll have no problem getting something to eat.
    Yeah you'll just have to stand in line forever :rolleyes: Seriously, Lunchtime is way too busy even on a Friday... if you can stand it, wait to have a late lunch there, after 1-1:30pm, it settles down a little. I love the hot roast pork baguette (with apple sauce and stuffing).
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Lunchtime is way too busy even on a Friday...
    I will probably have lunch at Aperture and just visit the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    I love the hot roast pork baguette (with apple sauce and stuffing).
    You can't tempt me with that. I don't eat meat!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Make an appointment to visit these people. They do have some good stuff from time to time at more resaonable prices than the British Museum shops. Or check their website first to see if anything might interest you.

http://www.mwclassic.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin