Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,334   Online: 840

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Day out in London - Secondhand camera store locations wanted!

I will be in London for most of Friday (30/1/09).

Please let me know of any secondhand camera stores in the (vaguely) central area.

I know about Nicholas in Camden and will be visiting there (even though they were closed last time I went!) and I will be going to Aperture (for lunch as it is a café as well). I have also found Camera City just round the corner from Aperture.

I would like to know of any similar shops - not more than a couple of miles from central London as I will be on foot. I don't really want to use the underground unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Steve,

Just along Oxford Street (towards Regent Street) is Jacobs Photo.....they have a large selection of used kit at the rear of the store.

Teamwork is just up Regent Street past the BBC too.

When you've had your lunch, come out of Aperture, turn right and then right again. There's a small shop at the end of the street on the left selling lots of unusual photographic items. And there's a Canon dealer just a little further on again to the left.

All discovered by accident !

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    don't bother going to Nicholas they are useless and a bunch of tossers

Shooter
    35mm
    Harry is right. Plus, they haven't updated their website in two years, and they rely on their own adverts in AP to tell them the prices of their stock.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hollis View Post
    don't bother going to Nicholas they are useless and a bunch of tossers
    That's what I thought last time when they were closed! I think I will still wander into Camden though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    What sort of things are you looking for? Central London is not great for second hand any more - most places have closed in the last few years alas.

Teamwork has large format. Jacobs. Kingsley on Tottenham Ct Road.

Otherwise you can go to Silverprint and get some film and paper!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cormack View Post
    What sort of things are you looking for?
    I'm not really looking for anything. I thought I would just have a day looking round camera shops, guitar shops and a few galleries.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you could swing it, a trip to Silverprint might be in order to see Martin and crew :-) Not exactly a used camera store, but a cool place nonetheless. You might have to take a train though
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    If you could swing it, a trip to Silverprint might be in order to see Martin and crew :-) Not exactly a used camera store, but a cool place nonetheless. You might have to take a train though
    Not a bad idea. And still within walking distance for me. I think I will plan a circular route for the day. Hope it doesn't rain

EDIT Hey... My first use of a smiley face.... except it isn't smiling!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Steve,

The great thing in London is that there is always a plan B available right at the corner when it starts raining.
    Silverprint is definitely walking distance from Kingsley / Tottenham Ct Road. Camden would be a hike. I'd circle in the second hand camera shops around the British museum, then Tottenham ct rd. Jacobs still has a display of second hand film cameras although it is emptying fast-ish without being refilled.
    Walking to Silverprint is a great walk... you cross the Thames, South bank at the corner, if it rains, there is a passage going towards Waterloo station and from there Silverprint is may be 10 mins walk. It closes at noon on Saturday.

As already said, you might be a little disappointed by the second hand camera shops. Photographica might be of interest, and the occasion to come back to London.
    http://www.nanites.co.uk/pccgb/Photographica%2001.htm

Best

Delphine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin