Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,672   Online: 864

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have said, practically anywhere in Italy is good

Genova and the Ligurian area are under-rated, and it's worth visiting Genova just to see the motorway construction! The historic centre (Centro Storico) is one of the largest in the world. I loved my time living there.

Bologna, Ravenna, Siena, Pisa,.... ah, just pick a place at random! Avoid the tourist restaurants, and you'll eat well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My wife and I are going to spend a week in Venice and a week in Florence this summer. I've been before (about 15 years ago as a student), but this will feel like a new experience.

I would like to take my MF camera, lenses and a truckload of film, but I'm just not sure it's worth it.
    I print mostly in Platinum/Palladium and Gum. I usually make (please forgive me) digital negs. I've seen Kerik's gumover prints made from digi-negs and a Canon 5D, and also other people's work. Pretty darn nice. I usually like my stuff too! I'm just not sure I can justify carrying all that extra stuff. Before I get flamed here, let me explain a couple of other issues....
    A year ago I had a double lung transplant. I'm going to have to carry an ENORMOUS amount of meds in my carry-on.
    I would not check any camera equipment, so it will be carried on as well, whatever I choose to take.
    So there you go.

My real reason for this post is to ask if anyone thinks I will get a huge hassle taking all these meds in a carry-on. One of the meds is in liquid form, so I will have several bottles with me. Also, insulin with the needles. I will have the prescriptions with me, of course. But is there anything else I should do, or I should know? Any advice?
    Checking it is out of the question. Without my meds, I risk going into rejection. They must stay with me.

Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only you can decide what to do. I confess most of my last two trips overseas were covered with the technology that cannot be mentioned. I was traveling with four other people and while I got quite respectable photo documentation of the trip, I did not consider it a major photographic expedition. I'm probably delusional, but still think I'll get back there again with a smaller party and more gear before I get too decrepit to carry the stuff.

As to medicines, one of my fellow travelers is diabetic and had an insulin pump and whatever goes with that; I don't recall that she had any problems. I think as long as your prescription meds are in the original properly marked containers you shouldn't have a problem. You might check some FAA and travel sites, but I'm pretty sure I've read of exceptions to the liquid rules for medications.

Enjoy your trip, those are two of the most amazing cities I have seen.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ask your doctor or pharmacist to write down the generic name for all the prescriptions. I think the brand names can be country specific.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Ask your doctor or pharmacist to write down the generic name for all the prescriptions. I think the brand names can be country specific.
    You can fly with all your medication, including liquid and needles, in your hand luggage once you have a GP's letter on official headed notepaper stating that you're required to carry the medication for medical reasons, followed by a detailed list of all those that you'll be carrying with you.
    As Nick says, just ask your doctor, they're used to doing these all the time, the only thing I would recommend is taking a couple of copies of it before you go... just in case.
    You're visiting two of the most beautiful cities in the world in my opinion.. so enjoy every moment!
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Síle View Post
    You can fly with all your medication, including liquid and needles, in your hand luggage once you have a GP's letter on official headed notepaper stating that you're required to carry the medication for medical reasons, followed by a detailed list of all those that you'll be carrying with you.
    As Nick says, just ask your doctor, they're used to doing these all the time, the only thing I would recommend is taking a couple of copies of it before you go... just in case.
    You're visiting two of the most beautiful cities in the world in my opinion.. so enjoy every moment!
    I endorse everything Síle says :-).

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I carry adrenaline hypodermics - 8 years ago this wasn't a problem at all, but these days you need that GP's letter; I had a decidedly unhappy experience at Rome airport when going through without one, although in fairness it was September 2001.

Also, in my opinion you absolutely *do not* let the first they know about it at the airport be when they see the needles on the x-ray. These days I'm completely upfront about telling anyone whether they care or not - at checkin, and again at security I always make sure to tell them before they scan the bags; I also take them out of the bag and put them in the coin trays so they're obvious and it's easy for them to inspect them if they want.

It might be worth learning/writing down on a cribsheets basic Italian phrases to explain what they're for as well - my experience is that the security folk are not necessarily fluent in English (mind you, I could say the same of JFK .) If of course you're fluent in Italian sorry for being patronising!

Anyway, basically carry a letter, be upfront rather than trying to smuggle them through without them noticing and you'll be absolutely fine. And as the man says, among the most beautiful cities in the world - you'll have a great time I'm sure!
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies folks. I do plan to take a letter and copy of prescriptions on with me. I'll need to do several "practice runs" to strategically get everything I need in a carry-on. Meds, camera gear, etc......
    Oy Vey!
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Revenna and Classe on the east coast of Italy. These two small towns are near Venice and have the best collection of Byzantine mosaics out side of Greece and Turkey.

Also nearby is San Marino. There you can order champane and shoot to cork into Italy.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

italy

I agree with mr. headland about Ligria and and Genova...I had a olive oil import business from this area (world's largest producer of olive oil) and spent quite a bit of time in the small towns and villages...very underated and under touristed....there is also some wonderful cuisine that is solely from this area
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know if this will work in other countries but twice in UK airports, faced with the check-in queue from hell, my party was directed towards the self-service check-in machines. I carry insulin and syringes, so when the screen gets to the question "Are you carrying any sharp objects?" I have to answer yes, at which point it tells me I can't continue and must speak to a customer service agent. Both times the agent has directed us straight to the business class checkin, bypassing the economy queue :-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin