Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,706   Online: 800

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

ever been to Italy?

I'll be taking a trip to Italy in the end of February. I'll be going to Venice, Florence and Rome. Anyone know of any lesser known places to see? Sure, I want to see the Collosseum and all those places. But I'm more interested in going down some back streets and taking pictures of the local hang outs. Also, I'm going to be shooting with my 4x5 and medium format, does anyone know what the Italian airports are like? Should I ask for a hand inspection?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Siena!

A must see city in southern Tuscany.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you mean lesser known places aside from Rome, Venice, Florence, or lesser known areas within those cities? If the former will you have a car?

You can ask for hand inspections, but I think you should reconcile yourself to your film going throught the machine at least most of the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Italy is an extremely photogenic place. There are loads of great photos to be had in all the cities you mention, plus just about everywhere else. Just grab your camera and wander around. When in Rome I had a lot of fun hanging around St Peters with the camera. Hundreds of nuns on tour make pretty good subjects... (see attached)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nunsontour.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been to the three cities you mention, plus some others. Between the major tourist attractions, all the old cities are full of little vias with small shops, interesting houses, piazzas, statuary etc. Just the age of many things is mind boggling. a real sense of history. You could probably spend a year in the country and only see a fraction of what's there. I was surprised when I got out and about that Venice is small enough to walk across the whole city (some of the "streets" are a bit wet ). Just people watching is fantastic; in the evening folks come out for a stroll and eventually hit the restaurants for a late meal. The photo opportunities and food are fantastic.

Enjoy it!

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Siena!
    Ditto!

I'll add: Orvieto and Ostia Antica.

Plus the Cinque Terre.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I could spend months shooting in Firenze and not feel nearly finished. A must-stop is the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. Some beautiful Botticelli's there. The opportunities will be endless.

The Forum in Rome has some great possibilities, too. The Pantheon, the Mouth of Truth, the list is almost endless. Jeez, I'm really jealous...

Pisa is a short train ride from Florence, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try Riva del Garda, quite possibly the most beautiful spot on the face of the earth. It's kind of hard to get to however. When I went there, starting from Milan it involved both a train ride and a long bus ride. It's worth it though.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Go from Venezia to Firenze by way of Verona.

In Roma, just walk around - the antique city center is all within walking distance. Have lunch in Trastevere.

Bring more film.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You have a private message (with indications for your holiday in Italy).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin