Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,155   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    my brief 2c

- Flying from Germany - any tips - which companies to use?

It's a looooong flight, please wear compression stockings to prevent DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) you can buy them at the airport

- Comments/advices on the photography (technical) - different setup?

I would keep things light as possible but that's just me. I enjoy outings when my back is not hurting and I am agile enough to maneuver the wildly varied terrain (not so easy with 30lbs of gear).

- What to visit?

You can't go wrong in the South Island, it is sensory overload down there. I'll leave it to the guys down there to comment.

- Important titbits? - What not to forget (about) ?
    - What is the chance to get the camper van broken into while on the hike?

Many tourists/trampers get lost on hikes (it CAN be deadly) so I would recommend you bring a light, portable handheld satellite GPS. Tag your start point location and use the GPS to navigate back to your start point if needed. Have a home base where you can keep the bulk of your clothes and valuables. Some tourists get caught out by parking at a trail in the middle of nowhere to come back from a half day hike with nothing left in their car. It's rare but it can happen, so keep your passports, cash and valuables out of the rental car in remote areas.

- How to declare the photography equipement when entering the NZ (not to be forced to pay import duties on theway there or back)

I'm not sure that is a problem but you can check the NZ customs site

You'll have a great time here. And with the weak NZ dollar (49c on the US at the moment) even better

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Many tourists/trampers get lost on hikes (it CAN be deadly) so I would recommend you bring a light, portable handheld satellite GPS. Tag your start point location and use the GPS to navigate back to your start point if needed.
    I'd also like to ad, when walking in the back country, even if it's only a day walk and the sun is shining hard and it's a stunning day, take at least a fleece and jacket in your bag with you. The amount of times I've been above the treeline somewhere and watched the sky turn from a magnificent blue into thick white fog with heavy rain in well under 60 minutes means I never go anywhere with at least some preperations for the weather turning sour.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    And with the weak NZ dollar (49c on the US at the moment) even better
    Thanks for reminding me. I need to buy some stuff from B&H

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin