Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,730   Online: 1072

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

New Zealand in April for 3 weeks

Hello,

me and my wife are planning a trip to NZ for 3 weeks for April. As this will be our first journey outside the Europe (we are in Germany right now) I would like to ask you for help.

More info:
    - Most probably we will fly with Emirates from DUS (Dusseldorf) to CHC (Christchurch). The cost is 2600 euro (ECONOMY of course) for a return ticket for 2 persons - one of the cheaper ones. Rather limited luggage 7 + 20 kg per person.
    - We plan to visit only the southern Island at this stage.
    - We plan to do mostly one day hikes (maybe some longer guided tour).
    - We will rent a car for the whole trip.
    - We consider renting a camper van for a week.
    - I got sever books and keap reading about tracks etc. - not easy to find out what we want.

Photogrpahy:
    - We both do photogrpahy - mostly ladscapes. My wife with a 35mm SLR + 28, 50m 100.
    - I am bit more complicated. I wanted to get some MF rangefinder first (Mamiya 7, Bronica RF645 or so), but the budget does not seem to favor this so I will probaly take:
    - my Tachi4x5 with 75, 125 and 210 lenses - mostly to be used from the car (Provia & Fuji Pro160S).
    - Rolleiflex T for trips - mostly Provia or Fuji Pro160S
    - Olympus XA as an ultra compact rangefinder loaded with Ektar 100
    - If the 4x5 goes along - I plan to get a carbon tripod with a ball head (Feisol 3442 + Photo Clam PC-33NS - together only 1300g what means saving 1200g when compared to the current setup).
    - Small taveler trripod form Giottos - the RT-8000 (500g). for the XA and Rolleiflex

I would like to ask:
    - Flying from Germany - any tips - which companies to use?
    - Towards Emirates - any experiences - especially on the luggage side?
    - Comments/advices on the photography (technical) - different setup?
    - What about gradudated ND filters ? (I never used them before)
    - What to visit?
    - Preferred places to stay?
    - Important titbits? - What not to forget (about) ?
    - What is the chance to get the camper van broken into while on the hike?
    - How to declare the photography equipement when entering the NZ (not to be forced to pay import duties on theway there or back)
    - I have heard that dirty roads are restricted for rented cars. How it is with 4WDs? Where to hire a reasonably cheap 4WD? How much would it cost?

thank you in advance
    Last edited by Matus Kalisky; 01-30-2009 at 10:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more questions ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Matus - I'm surprised you haven't had any responses so far. Kiwis are usually quick to say what a wonderful place NZ is!

Air New Zealand flies to Frankfurt, I think. You might consider flying through South America (Aerolineas Argentina or LAN Chile, perhaps from Madrid). They might have cheap fares. Their baggage allowance is two bags, each up to 32kg.

I have had no experience with Emirates.

That's a lot of equipment for 3 weeks.

- What about graduated ND filters ? (I never used them before)

No comment. I never use these.

In my experience, overseas trips are not good times to learn about new equipment. Bring the equipment you are most comfortable using.

- What to visit?

The scope is wide. Your decision to stay in the South Island is probably wise. You could do a circuit: Christchurch - Arthur's Pass - West Coast - Haast Pass - Wanaka - Queenstown (and Arrowtown) - Mt Cook - Christchurch. Depending on how fast you travel, you might extend this circuit to include Nelson, Dunedin, Milford Sound, etc.

I don't know what sort of landscape work you want to do. If you have some specific ideas, ask me questions. (email me direct on smithcbrian2@yahoo.com. I don't look at APUG very often.)

Road travel in NZ is very slow compared with Europe. Don't expect to go hundreds of km each day and still have time to take photographs. Remember that we drive on the LEFT.

I suggest you book a hire car in advance (internet).

Motel accommodation should be easy to find in April. A camper van is more flexible, but you need to be careful about security. NZ is not as safe as it was in the past. The are numerous "backpackers" and youth hostels (old people can stay at youth hostels), which are cheaper. Motels have simple cooking and eating facilities. Backpackers usually have cooking facilities that you share with other people. Look at:

http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/hostels/index.php
    http://www.bbh.co.nz/

NZ has very changeable weather. It can be sunny and also rain heavily in the same hour. Be prepared for anything. It can be very windy, although March and April are the calmest months, so bring a good tripod.

See my comment above. This happens, unfortunately.

- How to declare the photography equipment when entering the NZ (not to be forced to pay import duties on the way there or back)

I don't think this is a problem, if the equipment is for your own use. See:
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...ew+Zealand.htm

If you bring in HUGE amounts of equipment, Customs might not believe that it is for your own use.

- I have heard that dirty roads are restricted for rented cars. How it is with 4WDs? Where to hire a reasonably cheap 4WD? How much would it cost?

I think you mean "dirt" roads (unsealed), rather than "dirty", but it may amount to the same thing. There are not as many unsealed roads now as in the past. It is possible that you wouldn't use any. Anyway, I don't think there's a problem. See the following, for example:

http://www.apexrentals.co.nz/new-zea...ire-terms.aspx

There are perhaps two roads (e.g. the Skippers road, near Queenstown) that you may not be allowed to use a hire car on, but that's a minor limitation. I don't know the price of 4x4s, but I think a 4x4 is probably unnecessary.

NZ has lots of national parks. See: http://www.doc.govt.nz.

National parks have many opportunities for day walks. The DoC offices have lots of information.

In tourist centres (e.g Queenstown), there are numerous opportunities for guided walks.

For day walks, a good place to start would be Arthur's Pass (2-3 hours drive from Christchurch). See also: http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/can...accommodation/

Good luck. - Brian Smith
    Last edited by dario; 02-20-2009 at 02:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling error

Shooter
    35mm
    We look forward to having you in our fine country! (seeing that our economy runs on tourism). Seeing that Im not a tourist but a local then i can only give you a little advice...bring film! especially if you work in medium format, roll film is only found in pro shops here and it is very expensive ($15-20NZ a roll) especially in the south island. The next big tip is to know that NZ is a very nice place but some of its wilderness can have very brutal weather changes, so please be prepared for everything mother nature can throw at you. Dario's choices of places is very good but if you have time then try to make it to stewart island at the bottom of NZ, its a wonderful place to visit.

Oh and make sure the kea (mountain parrots) dont get into your gear haha they will destroy it!

Im based in Dunedin so if you have any more questions give me a buzz
    steveting.wordpress.com!!!

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you go anywhere, definitely head to Milford Sound and the West coast of South Island.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format

new zealand

Matus,

Yes, driving on the LEFT is very important to ingrain
    into your thinking! I did ok for two weeks - only
    got flipped off once and honked at twice...

We flew Air New Zealand out of San Francisco. I
    can't say enough nice things about them - it was
    an excelent experience.

Gear -

The US customs people have a form to fill out
    to show that you are taking valuable items out of
    the country. This is to show upon re entry to prove that
    you didn't buy these items overseas.

I filled one out and had it signed off by Customs. When
    I got back to the US, no one asked about it at all.

I brought a Technika, a few lenses, tripod, etc. into
    New Zealand. At their customs entry I was asked
    about the value - from their response I'd say that they
    figure anything that is not brand new is understood to
    be for personal use.

I also brought all my film - I use readyloads and knew
    that I wouldn't be likely to find any there.

They do weigh luggage carefully. Air New Zealand has a 15 lb. weight limit on carry on bags. Fortunately they
    didn't spot check us. They did check a passenger two people ahead of us at the departure gate - his weighed
    30 lbs - so he had to check it.

We found, almost without exception, everyone to be truly
    friendly and helpful. It is a wonderful country.

If you haven't heard about them, almost every town has what is called an "I" station ( for Information ). They are generally manned between 8 am and 5 pm. Their entire
    purpose is to help travellers with information, bookings,
    whatever.

They also have inexpensive internet access.

It's kind of odd - the only person that we had any even
    minor issue with being non- helpful was in the Te- Anua
    I station. But hey - everyone has a bad day at some point.

I second the recommendation to head for Milford Sound.

The road there has some awesome views. At Te Anua they can give you a nice roadmap of that route that shows some of the most common sights to see. Mirror Lakes and
    the Chasm are two popular and worthwhile ones.

One other issue - sand flies. I don't know if they will be very active while you are there, but they are really, really,
    agresive and annoying. You feel a little pinch when they
    bite - but then the bites itch for a long time.

Also - if it's sunny - get sunblock. They don't have much
    ozone in the upper atmosphere, so the sun is quite strong.

Best of luck - you'll have a great time!

Terry
    www.terryhayden.com

Quote Originally Posted by slnce-z-gsi View Post
    Hello,

me and my wife are planning a trip to NZ for 3 weeks for April. As this will be our first journey outside the Europe (we are in Germany right now) I would like to ask you for help.

More info:
    - Most probably we will fly with Emirates from DUS (Dusseldorf) to CHC (Christchurch). The cost is 2600 euro (ECONOMY of course) for a return ticket for 2 persons - one of the cheaper ones. Rather limited luggage 7 + 20 kg per person.
    - I got sever books and keap reading about tracks etc. - not easy to find out what we want.

Photogrpahy:
    - We both do photogrpahy - mostly ladscapes. My wife with a 35mm SLR + 28, 50m 100.
    - I am bit more complicated. I wanted to get some MF rangefinder first (Mamiya 7, Bronica RF645 or so), but the budget does not seem to favor this so I will probaly take:
    - my Tachi4x5 with 75, 125 and 210 lenses - mostly to be used from the car (Provia & Fuji Pro160S).
    - If the 4x5 goes along - I plan to get a carbon tripod with a ball head (Feisol 3442 + Photo Clam PC-33NS - together only 1300g what means saving 1200g when compared to the current setup).
    - Small taveler trripod form Giottos - the RT-8000 (500g). for the XA and Rolleiflex

I would like to ask:
    - What to visit?
    - How to declare the photography equipement when entering the NZ (not to be forced to pay import duties on theway there or back)

thank you in advance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually lived in NZ for a year - Wellington, and my wife is also presently there.

Basically, if you're going to South Island, I recommend you take this trip:

Fly to Auckland->Wellington.
    Take the Interislander ferry from Wellington to Picton across Cooke Strait (about 3 hours and a good experience).
    From Picton, head to the West coast, either via Nelson or St Arnaud (SH-63). Stay in Westport (nothing going on there).
    Drive from Westport down the West coast (SH-6), stop in Punakaiki for a while.
    Head through Franz Josef (possibly stay there) and Haast Pass. The drive from Westport down and Haast Pass will be a memorable part of your trip - so try to do it in the daytime.
    Arrive in Queenstown (you should probably stay here, very popular destination), absolutely head to Milford Sound, Te Anau (before MS and there's only one normal route to it), or bypass Queenstown (I wouldn't) and take SH-8 to Dunedin. Either way I expect you to eventually end up in Dunedin. Stay in Dunedin.
    Head north up the East coast to Oamaru, Timaru, Christchurch via SH-1. Stay in Christchurch or a previous town.
    Continue north to Kaikoura. You will have photographic opportunities here. It's a definite recommended place to go in SI.
    Head north to Blenheim, Picton.
    Take Interislander ferry back to Wellington.
    Fly to Auckland.
    Fly home.

South Island is very relaxed and slow moving in comparison to North Island. This is an advantage in that people will generally give you less trouble and there won't be many issues (most people in NZ are quite nice and relaxed anyways). Leave early in the morning *always* or you'll miss out on sunlight and feel like you're chasing the trip. I don't know how much time you guys have, but we did the above SI trip in a little under 2 weeks and we felt we definitely didn't have enough time to see everything.

In smaller cities, try to stay in a few bed and breakfasts run by locals. Search for good deals and possibly just call around for their current prices. Some are actually quite decent price wise and inline with hotels. Take the cheapest, sanest option. You won't be spending a large amount of time in your temporary stay anyways - but occasionally you will need an off-day.

Driving in SI is easy, not a large amount of traffic, and not a significant amount of police (like there are in NI). I'm not recommending you drive 150 kmh, but the limit is 100 and there are plenty areas where 120 is the comfortable speed.

For photography, bring 2 bodies max (and maybe the XA). Don't bring the 4x5. Don't worry about x-ray machines, it won't be an issue. Don't bother with the hand inspections (I just came back from Jakarta, Indonesia and Sarawak, Malaysia and my film got scanned at least 10-12 times, no issues, *carry-on ONLY*). Do not think "oh if I would have just brought this one camera it would have been so great!" Just stick to 2 bodies you know best. The MF rangefinder (or even a standard waist level model) is not a bad choice. Stick to 2 lenses, 3 max. Forget any telephotos, you won't use them. The issue here is that this stuff has weight and additionally more options then you will even use. Stay with what you know or you'll be lugging around dead weight that you never end up using more than once. In fact, when we went to SI, the only camera brought was my wife's digital P&S (I don't recommend this, for obvious reasons) but I've been in that "bring 3 cameras and lenses and only use 2 the entire time" trap in Malaysia/Indonesia.

The way to avoid having carry-on luggage weighed is to use messenger style bags and a backpack. This makes it look like you are just bringing standard items and not 10lb of metal in your bag. Load the film into the backpack, bodies and lenses in the camera bag. My last trip I used a Crumpler 7MDH and a simple backpack - loaded the F3 and M4 into the Crumpler, a couple bags of film at the top of the bag, and then more bags of film in the backpack (I think I took around 100 rolls of 35mm film and used 60). If, for whatever reason, they insist you check a carry-on in, do not under any circumstances, allow the film to be checked in - or it will be destroyed by the check-in luggage x-ray levels.

NZ customs is tame about gear, but they're not tame about food. If you bring food or anything organic, expect to get some hassle unless it's processed and packaged food.

A few shots to give you some idea of things to see (all off the P&S digital):

Cliffs around Punakaiki:

Remarkables and Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown:

Highway to Milford Sound:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2520845924_ac40165ca0.jpg   2520028693_319e158681.jpg   2520849272_ea8fd0bf94_o.jpg  
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, Royal Brunei flies from London->Bandar Seri Bagawan (BWN)->Auckland so it's another option to consider. Although I just checked their prices on royalbrunei.com and it's insane. From AKL to BWN they're usually quite nicely priced. It must be the Heathrow part.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's always good to see what tourists have to say.

As Terry Hayden commented, don't dismiss the issue of driving on the LEFT. See http://www.stuff.co.nz/4864458a11.html for an example of what happens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    :

Fly to Auckland->Wellington....

Head north up the East coast to Oamaru, Timaru, Christchurch via SH-1. Stay in Christchurch or a previous town.
    Continue north to Kaikoura. You will have photographic opportunities here. It's a definite recommended place to go in SI...
    There's nothing wrong with the itinerary Clayne has suggested here but I'd make one deviation: instead of simply driving north up SH-1 from Oamaru to Christchurch, I'd suggest taking the scenic route back to Christchurch via Mt Cook and the McKenzie country.

To do this, turn west up the Waitaki Valley just north of Oamaru; drive up the valley to Omarama; then turn north and follow the signs to Lake Tekapo - with a diversion up to Mt Cook if you wish. From Tekapo you have a choice of heading back out to the coast at Timaru, or taking the scenic route back to Christchurch via Rakia Gorge. Great sealed roads all the way (prime tourist country here) and the whole detour can be done easily in a day - though that wont leave much time for stopping and taking photos.

There is accommodation at Omarama; Mt Cook; Tekapo and Fairlie (though you may need to book ahead).

Hope this helps

Cheers

Carey Bird

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slnce-z-gsi View Post
    Hello,

Hi Matus,
    I did a 3-week solo journey looping the South Island from Christchurch. Up to Collingwood first for good weather (Farewell Spit) first, then gradually down to Invercargill then back up via Mount Cook to Christchurch (rain and cool every day except 3x on east coast). I've recapped some of my thoughts following.

More info:
    The South Island is much more impressive than the touristy North Island, but it can also be very, very wet in the transitional autumn period. The rainforests are breathtakingly beautiful by the rushing ice-blue rivers.

Photogrpahy:
    That is certainly a heap of equipment to take along with the 20kg allowance. I suspect it would be more like 40kg ! Minimise, minimise.

I would like to ask:
    Emirates was too expensive on my journey, but you're on the other side of the world and I suspect the cost is huge. Locally (AU-NZ-AU) I flew with Air NZ and it was excellent; no trouble carrying-on lens kit etc. Do you have a choice besides Emirates from Frankfurt?

Of the third item, less is more ! You will be walking a lot of the time and the more you take the greater the burden will be for both of you (one slows down the other). Take the XA, Mamiya 7 and leave the bits-and-pieces 5x4 at home. Also consider the risk of theft. You really need to be on-guard at all times leaving the stuff in the campa.

I avoid these with matrix/evaluative metering systems, but use 2 for my LF kit. It's a personal preference; if taking any, learn their application carefully before committing them to the NZ photo record. A warm-up filter, POL, UV or Skylight filter is sufficient for most conditions. Early morning light can be very blue and stark which is beautiful in its own right.

- What to visit?
    Whatever you want! It helps to have a flexible plan. Most people travel clockwise around the South (I went the other way!). Top of the South Island around Nelson has vast mud flats and magic evening light. Beyond remote and sleepy Collingwood is Farewell Spit, a true frontier environment exposed to the full vagueries of weather from the ocean: sand dunes, beach walking etc. Only accessible by tour group from Collingwood (i.e. Farewell Spit Tours). The further south you go, the cooler (colder) it gets. Milford Sound was very mild and humid on my visit, but it then turned vile with continuous drenching rain for 48 hours.

Go for a wander around the glacier at Franz Josef. Take in the sublime views of Aoraki/Mount Cook in Mount Cook Village (this is in National Park) and nearby Lake Mathieson (lots of campas put down here for the night in a communal-like setting): gorgeous symmetrical reflections and light early am/evening. Dunedin (Scottish influence, beautiful gardens, lofty mountain pass railway and cafés), Christchurch, Wanaka and Queenstown (don't ever go to NZ without staying at Queenstown), Milford South (atmospheric, almost always drenched with rain and guaranteed to get your camera working on the waterfalls). My highlights were Arthurs Pass and Haast Pass, the latter having some truly stunning alpine scenery and furious rushing rivers. The list goes on and on really. Read Lonely Planet's New Zealand 2008 edition for the full low-down.

In a campa, you can camp 'wild', i.e. side of road en route Milford South is about as atmospheric and exciting as you can get (chiefly for the kea parrots that could wreck the campa, wild rivers, 'crying mountains' (thousands of waterfalls coming off the surrounding peaks as you drive in), ancient rainforests... In the cities, stay in caravan parks i.e. Top 10 Parks New Zealand (excellent one in Christcurch needs advance booking) and splendidly-located park in Queenstown among others. The Catlins (rainforests, waterfalls, ocean beaches — way down south) are less populous and just simple camp grounds.

Your Passport, health and travel insurance—take care of all these. Take care bringing film in that it is clear and unambiguous for inspection. Hand inspection won't be done: it all goes through X-Ray, no ifs, not buts, no bull. There has never been any ill-effect on any of my film after 4 passes. Beyond 4 passes ... (...?...). Don't wander around with cameras hanging from your neck: sitting targets for thieves that operate around airports, which means by association, don't leave luggage unattended (especially at Christchurch).

That regrettably happens. and is a major problem in many places around New Zealand, especially like Franz Josef and Mount Cook, additional to leaving the campa unattended in remote areas i.e. carpark at Lake Gunn or shopping centre at Te Anau. Dunedin and Queenstown are also a hot spots for car theft, so travel wisely and put down where you can keep an eye on the campa where possible. Camp in a caravan park, lock everything up. Obviously, the less you take with you, the less chance of having it stolen! Then there is the pesky NZ alpine parrot, the KEA. Habitually inquisitive and powerful, they can destroy windscreen wipers, crack glass, mangle roof vents, open packs and forage for food... you name it, this bird can do it! The hire companies of course know about these birds (common at Mount Cook and Milford Sound) and they do cause a major headache for unwary travellers. Close all roof vents, wind windows up and hope for the best!!

- How to declare the photography equipement when entering the NZ (not to be forced to pay import duties on the way there or back)
    If you buy equipment in NZ duty free, no duty is payable. The more expensive-looking (if not actual) stuff you take, the more keen the gaze from Customs will be: they'll ask questions and inspect your equipment (cross checks are often run between NZ and Australia for lost/stolen equipment). Be very patient with Customs.

In a non-4WD campa, you will probably not be allowed a great deal of freedom of driving on gravel roads due to risk of windscreen damage and/or body, underbody damage or loss of control or other reasons stipulated by the company. But gravel roads are less common on the South Island for hire cars than the North Island. 4WD hire does free you from common restrictions but you must know the environment which is no doubt very different to Germany. KEA hires 4WDs, so does Apollo., with fold-out 'tents' stored on the roof. I understand Diesel is still very expensive in NZ, with petrol now creeping up again in cost.

thank you in advance[/quote]

---

Here's some of my photo record to really get you packing...

• "Crying Mountains", two of inumerable waterfalls en route Milford Sound

[I• ]Leaf litter detail, MacLean Falls, The Catlins[/I]

• Lion and Elephant Rock, Milford Sound

• Mitre Peak in cloud, Milford Sound

• Moeraki Beach, Moeraki Coast

• Afterglow, Moeraki Beach
    IMG]http://users.ncable.net.au/higgins1/_APUG/Moeraki Boulders_10.JPG[/IMG]

• No-see-um: Me, cold and wet, on track from, Matai Falls, The Catlins

TSS Earnslaw and The Remarkables, Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown

• Unruffled feathers: Shore Birds at Curio Bay, The Catlins

Haere ra! 'Bye New Zealand! Christchurch on leaving

.::PDJ::.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 03-02-2009 at 09:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin