Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,718   Online: 783

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris,

Thank you! I didn't need encouragement. You've given me more than I could want. I must go.

I agree -- thanks for the detailed and thoughtful answer Chris -- it's exactly what I was looking for!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    just a thought
    i had a boss a couple years ago who used to go on fishing trips to canada where there was 0 cell coverage so he would rent a sat phon for a couple weeks from what i remember the coverage maps went almost all the way to alaska although that was in the weaker service area still better than nothing in an emergency if i remember corectly the cost was around 30-50 a week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've travelled that route before and it is just beautiful. Like people have been telling you don't go without provisions and film (of course) to last you a day or 3. I have been up to Ft. St. John but not much furthur. I hear the drive from there to Alaska is a LOOONNNGGG trip. Just make sure you have all the safety gear that other people talk about because you will/may or may not need them. You can always bring it back home. When I did my traveling I did it in a Calgary Cadillac so I was ready for anything. In case people don't know what I mean by that it is a half ton truck. Yes Moose are very solid so beware.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 02-05-2009 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip! Can't help with anything north of Prince George, but if you're dropping south on highway 37 why not hang a right at Kitwanga, travel the Skeena Valley, take the ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy, then see some of Vancouver Island? With that loop you'll see just about every ecosystem BC has to offer except for the Rockies. As another option I think there's a ferry from Skagway to Prince Rupert, then you could drive to Prince George from there.

Just a few ideas for you to kick around...but I should warn you...I'm partial to the north coast, especially the inside passage, the outer coast, and the Skeena River Valley

Murray -- I hadn't really considered going to Vancouver Island on this trip (that's a whole other trip in itself!) but I do like the idea of breaking up all the driving. Right now the round trip looks to be about 76 hours of straight driving -- I'll need to figure out the best places for me to stop and recuperate along the way.

Actually, I love coastlines and the Skeena River Valley is definitely on my list of places to visit and photograph. I'll have to look into those options a little more, although I feel if I do the Inside Passage I may have to give up part of the North.
    Rachelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad you are not coming to Vancouver Island!!? Listen to Chris, I have met him; awesome person; and he knows his stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kate - my initial thought was to do Vancouver Island during that time period, which is still a possibility if I decide not to go up North. But I'll have to weigh all my options (and costs) and see which trip works better for me. That being said, flights are pretty cheap from Kamloops, so I may end up in Victoria one of these weekends anyway.
    Rachelle

Shooter
    35mm
    Go to the West Coast of the Island. Cross the Island in a car so you can enjoy the trip up and over the spine. Be prepared to not leave.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me know if and when you can come over and I have a couch and a warm meal with your name on it. If I can help you cut costs coming to Victoria just say the word. Just let me know ahead of time so I can book the weekend off of work so I can drive you around. I know some amazing places to check out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm planning on driving up to Nanaimo some time to go and visit Sly (Lillian Sly). She does 4X5 and also knows some beautiful places in her kneck of the woods.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWKate View Post
    Too bad you are not coming to Vancouver Island!!? Listen to Chris, I have met him; awesome person; and he knows his stuff.
    Awww. That made my day Kate!

And for anyone thinking of going to Vancouver Island: go. The west coast of the island - forget that, the whole place - is also one of those take-you-breath-away-why-do-I-live-anywhere-else kind of places. I'm asking myself the same question right now. It's friggin -20something in Halifax today

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin