Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,174   Online: 723

Thread: Thailand

South Galway, Originally from sunny Sligo, Ireland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries

Thailand

I'm going to Koh Samui and Koh Pagnan in June (for my honeymoon). I plan on shooting lots of 120 b/w; fp4 and hp5.

What I'm wondering is are there camera shops where film is available on either of these islands? I don't have the luxury of a long layover in Bangkok to go searching either.

My only other option is to bring film from home, but I have the worry of having it ruined by airport x-ray. Please advise

Eamonn
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't recall seeing much film available on the Thai Islands when I was there a few years ago. Probably even less now. Tourism in SE Asia is based largely on the quick buck - and the $$ are in digital not film.

I have never had a problem with airport X-ray, and going through multiple airports on one trip, with 120 films up to ISO400. Just make sure you take it on the plane with you in your hand baggage - don't check it in with your hold luggage as that gets stronger x-ray.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Cheers Ian, thanks for the info!
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Black and white film market is getting a lot smaller now so it's no hope for you to find them on the island. If you want to know about the shop in Bangkok, let me know so I could point it out for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely take the film with you from home, it's hard enough to find in Bangkok let alone in a resort area. The x-rays will be fine, I took plenty of film through Thailand with no problems. As long as it's in hand luggage as the previous poster noted.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You'll be fine to bring film from home and carry it with you through carry on x-rays. I recently was in Phuket on my way home from Nepal, and when it was all said and done I'd passed through something like 14 x-rays with 400 speed film with absolutely no ill effects. Throw 'em in your carry on, forget about them and enjoy your honeymoon!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What ChrisC said.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    bring your film. you can get it in BKK if you have to....easier and better to bring it with you!

i am jealous. i miss thailand so much.....
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have been once in Thailand 3 months and really regret that i have take so little fotos, so take lot of films and keep shooting....while enjoy your honeymoon ofc
    Last edited by oldnick; 03-02-2009 at 01:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

I've decided to try to get my hands on some colour slide film to bring with me as well, hopefully by then will be posting pictures to a gallery. Like showing holiday slides to the neighbours on a large scale.

Thanks again,

Eamonn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin