Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings everyone,

My name is Mark and I am from Melbourne, Australia. I am currently thinking/planning for a trip to South America. I was wondering if any members who read this forum can help out with some suggestions of good photographic locations. Never having been to the continent and mostly ignorant of its geography and history, any information which I can't squeeze out of my Lonely Planet guide book is certainly most appreciated

Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

-Mark.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mark

I live in this continent, but just know a bit of it.
    What kind of photos are you looking for ?

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Machu Pichu in Peru is a don't miss. then take the train from Cuzco to Puno (on lake Titicaca on the Bolivian border - floating village there). Then go to Arequipa (beautiful city, wish I could live there), then Ica (the Nazca lines), then back up to Lima.
    Get as high in the Andes as you can stand, but watch for altitude sickness (seroche?). The meadows and mountains, Llamas, villages are beautiful, and the light amazing. Go out in the small villages at night, listen to the traditional music and watch the dancing. Eat the food, don't ask what it is. Don't drink too much of the local moonshine.
    How much time do you have? Whatever it is, it's not enough! If you have more time & $, go to Iquitos on the Amazon, and/or Pucallpa. Take a trip on the river, watch out for crocs and snakes (oh I almost forgot, Australia has most of the poisonous ones anyway)!
    Try and learn a few words of Spanish before you go. Ba˝o and cerveza are the two most important.
    Wherever you decide to go, you will love it.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    p.s. wherever you are, go to the local markets. If there are any local festivals, don't miss them.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    ... and Bathrooms that are occupied by aggresive geckos that like to attach to your posterior as you sit down.The geckos do seem to run in terror when you scream though.
    The mind BOGGLES!!!! Boy ... I'm going to have to live with that image in mind all day ...!!!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

jbj

Shooter
    Large Format
    Like Johnnywalker said. A beautiful country with many warm and friendly people.

I did the same route except in the opposite direction: Lima, Pisco, Ica, Nazca, Arequipa (colca canyon which i didn't see but i hear is good...and condors too), Puno, Lago Titicaca, Cusco (sacred valley and machu pichu), Lima. Three weeks. Lots of film. Amazing!

My experiences were more enjoyable the farther from the beaten path I went. Big cities like cusco, arequipa and lima are nice but the true colors and richness of the country were found in the places where the number of people speaking english was low, and spanish, quechua and other dialects were the standard. Of course getting off the beaten path can be done in the largest cities too.

When I go back I want to go to the north in the jungles and into columbia and ecuador.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a couple of "in" jokes re Arequipa and Lake Titicaca. The Arequipians insist everyone needs a passport to visit (even other Peruvians) because everyone wants to go there - understandably. They call it the White City, famous for it's volcano, "Misty".

Lake Titicaca is partly in Peru, partly in Bolivia. The Peruvians say the "titi" (much like it sounds in English) part is in Peru, and the "caca" (poop) part is in Bolivia. The Bolivians probably don't quite see it that way.

Thanks to one and all for their suggestions and replies. It was a very pleasant surprise. I am just a amateur photographer who loves landscape and people/portraits. I will go through all the messages I have received in detail later...

Your help has been much appreciated. Wishing everyone a safe and merry Chrismas and a Happy New Year.

-Mark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You won't find a better place to take landscape and people photos than in the Andes.
    Merry Christmas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin