Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,646   Online: 1142

Shooter
    Medium Format

Going to Dallas... Any Suggestions?

I'm going to Dallas tomrrow, and will be there for 4 days. I've never been in Dallas, and am not familiar with it at all. I'm staying near to Love Field, and will be working downtown during the day. Does anyone have suggestions for interesting places photographically? I'm open minded in terms of subject material... I like city street scenes, architecture, even industrial scenes. Also like landscape, but don't imaging that I'll be within close distance of that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dale

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You'd be surprised. One thing that impresses me about Dallas is its "bigness"; it seems like a large-scale place because it has large buildings like other urban centers, but is quite sprawling and not so compressed.

One of my favorite "themes" in the Dallas area (my parents live in Lewisville, an exurb that is north of the city along I-35E, a half hour south of Denton TX) is the effect of the hand of man upon nature; the explosive growth of exurban sprawl; the stark beauty of the terrain (best seen, I think, as you go north beyond the city, past the inner-ring suburbs and onward towards Oklahoma.

You really will need a car to make getting around easier. But even if you only have time to walk about downtown, there should be plenty to catch your eye.

Aside from shooting, if you're up for a museum, and find yourself with a few hours to kill, the Amon Carter Museum in Ft Worth is a must-see. Excellent collection of photography. Not too tough to get there if you have a car.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is always the obvious - Dealey Plaza. Within blocks of that you have the Old Red Courthouse and Reunion Tower (Dallas' phallic symbol). In the Arts District about a mile from downtown there is the new Opera House under construction; an interesting modern design. Frank Lloyd Wright's only Dallas building is the Dallas Theater Center. Sixteen miles west of Dallas in Arlington (my Home) is the new stadium for the Dallas Cowboys. For landscapes, or at least plantscapes, there is the Dallas Arboretum.

Enjoy your visit.

Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike & Rick,

Thanks for the replies; I've been looking at maps and getting some ideas. The Art District sounds like an interesting area, and close to where I'll be working. Thanks again.

Dale

KOG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me Dallas is a city of commerce, but there are little nooks and crannies that you might find interesting. If you are downtown, try Dallas City Hall (I.M. Pei architecture and used in several movies), the sculptures in Pioneer Plaza to the north of the Convention center - then look up at the skyline and find the Pegasus sign. Thanksgiving Square (before 5pm, when they lock the gates), Dallas Museum of Art, the West End, and various pedestrian alleys between Main, Elm, and Commerce streets near Ervay and St Paul.

Kevin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Resurrecting this thread because I'm heading to the Dallas area myself and would like recommendations to go with the above, but am seeking advice more specifically on finding art and (primarily) photography-related culture. I see the Amon Carter Museum focuses on photography (and is FREE!) so I'll probably be hitting that, as well as the other big cultural sites like the Kimball and Dallas Museums of Art, etc. Time will be short for me as it is a work trip, but I'll some free time in the coming week and always like to see good photography, well displayed - so please advise on anything that my simple Googling might otherwise miss. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Two galleries in Dallas:

Photographs Do Not Bend - http://www.pdnbgallery.com/Site/HOME.html
    AfterImage - http://www.afterimagegallery.com/

And very definitely the Amon Carter in Ft. Worth!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin