Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,724   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Medium format in Japan

To make a long story short:

I used to live in Japan (1999-2005), mostly in Western Chugoku, got serious about photography there, bought my first SLR there, shot a lot of chromes, and was just getting into medium format/black and white when I left.

Now I've been offered a short-term contract there (in Niigata) for July and August and I'll have time beforehand (about two weeks) to revisit some favorite places and hopefully some new ones. I'll be bringing a variety of cameras with me but I hope to use my Bronica SQ system for the majority of my shots.

So my question for those that live there, or who have recently travelled there is: Will I have any problems using the Bronica (that is, a fairly conspicuous MF SLR) in most places? My assumption, based on my experience, is no. That being said, I'm aware that no MF cameras or tripods are allowed at Kinkakuji in Kyoto. Do they check bags? I don't remember. I do remember a "guard" of some sorts watching over everyone, but that's it. I'm assuming I could get away with my Holga -- what about a small TLR? (I'll likely bring my Yashica or Autocord). Also - what about the other temples, shrines, gardens, etc.? Are there any others that have similar policies? I'll be going to Tokyo (never been), Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, and smaller places in between. I've tried finding specific information/policies about MF camera use on the web but have been unable to do so.

I'd appreciate any advice or comments -- it will help me finalize what kind of equipment I will take with me when I go.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why would MF cameras not be allowed in Kinkakuji? My Rolleiflex is considerably less bulky and certainly a lot quieter than my Nikon D700... and it's less 'professional' too. So why the MF prohibition?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suspect the restriction is more on using tripods and getting under peoples feet, unless MF is considered "Professional" and 35mm isn't
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    I'll be going to Tokyo (never been), Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, and smaller places in between.
    I don't think you'll have any problems. Just don't claim yourself as a professional when you're shooting in busy streets in Tokyo or at temples and shrines in Kyoto. If you're not shooting for commercial purposes, then don't even mention the word "pro" to the security people and/or to the police.

For the general restrictions on the cameras in some areas, there are signs and you will see them. For the use of tripod, it depends, so just ask.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I live in Niigata, been here for a dozen years. If you have any questions please send me a PM.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alright - thanks everyone. I guess maybe it's not the problem it's been made out to be (that I've seen on other forums). That's good to know.

Gary -- I'll send you a pm in the near future.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's no problem, you see all sorts of people on the streets with all sorts of cameras, including 4x5 and bigger. The likelihood of photography in public being disallowed is equal to banning the consumption of raw fish on rice.

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/

Enjoy!

Shooter
    35mm
    post removed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk-san View Post
    It's no problem, you see all sorts of people on the streets with all sorts of cameras, including 4x5 and bigger. The likelihood of photography in public being disallowed is equal to banning the consumption of raw fish on rice.

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/

Enjoy!
    Having been in London when a Japanese tour bus pulls up outside a major tourist attraction, I can confirm that the stereotype of the Japanese tourist liking to take the Occasional photograph is alive and well.

I can also confirm that if you hang around for more than a couple of minutes, you will be asked to use a wide selection of state of the art compact cameras on their owners. The whole coach's worth!
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    I can also confirm that if you hang around for more than a couple of minutes, you will be asked to use a wide selection of state of the art compact cameras on their owners. The whole coach's worth!
    That's because they left their high end DSLR, Leicas etc. at home because they think it is dangerous abroad (perhaps not totally unjustified). Many Japanese photo people I have spoken to have a camera for home, and a cheaper one for travel...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin