Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,073   Online: 943

Shooter
    35mm

Hong Kong beauties...

Hi everyone,

I'll spend 4 days in Hong Kong next month. Could you recommend good spots, subjects, etc that would be worth a few shots. I'm particularly interested in street scenes, people, nature but am open to any other area.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi - I liked in Hong for 8 years (1992-2000). I would recommend:

Lan Kwai Fong for night life along with Wanchai and some of the older more 'local' streets around there. Also take a look at Western which again is the older part.
    You could go to Lantau and Lamma Islands for nature/beach shots. You should visit The Peak for great nightscapes overlooking Hong Kong island (these are the shots you see on TV/magazines on HK.
    You cant go wrong in HK, just pick up a guide and jump on a few trams/busses and ferry's. Have fun! Its a great place...
    (jealous)
    Paul.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been to HK about 8 times. Always had a good time and did have some good luck with street photography. I suggest the Flower and Bird Markets in Kowloon. They have been good subjects for me. Here is a link to my web site which has two small projects on the Bird and Flower market.

http://www.joelipkaphoto.com/index_page_2.html
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    Thanks for these tips.
    Two more questions:
    Have you ever been to Tai Po Kau Nature Reserve. Is it worth it?
    Is going to Guangzhou easy (by train)?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I really liked the Bird Park. Not sure if that's the same thing as the bird market? It's a tiny little out-of-the-way park full of bird enthusiasts...just amazing, I thought, and rich in street photography moments.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nicefor88 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'll spend 4 days in Hong Kong next month. Could you recommend good spots, subjects, etc that would be worth a few shots. I'm particularly interested in street scenes, people, nature but am open to any other area.
    Thanks.
    I recommend the area just above Central District and Central Market. This is one of the last remaining original commercial districts that is densely populated with antique stores and cheap craft stalls among narrow streets and alley ways. You can use the Hillside Escalator (a treat in of itself) to access Staunton Street, Hollywood Road, Man Mo Temple (the interior with the hanging conical incense burners offers rich photo possibilities) Ladder Street and Cat Street.

Also, if you happen to be there on a Sunday you shouldn't miss "Maid's Day Off" with literally hundred's of Hong Kong's plentiful Filipino maid's enjoying themselves while talking, singing, drinking tea and eating treats and sitting on blankets spread in ever shady spot among the many gleaming glass and steel towers of Central. One of their favorite spots is under Norman Foster's Hong Kong Shanghai Bank building.

Incredible city. Enjoy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin