Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,075   Online: 918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Diego

Shooter
    Medium Format

San Diego

Any good locations for shooting models?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shooting models with film or a la CSI? The latter will cause you problems.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Shooting models with film or a la CSI? The latter will cause you problems.
    ...but the desert east of town is probably a good answer either way! :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I live in San Diego and know of no place where it is safe to shoot unclothed models.
    if you plan to shoot models who are fully dressed, or at least in bathing suits the city is full of locations.
    Balboa Park, any of the beach communities, Seaport Village, anywhere along San Diego Bay or Mission Bay.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    On a completely unrelated subject, a friend is in SD for a conference over the weekend and will have some free time. I thought I might ask her to pick up some film and/or chems for me, as it is usually far cheaper in the States than here. Any place still carrying a full range of darkroom supplies that I might direct her to?

Edit: I can not really ask her to head up to Freestyle, unfortunately

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aluk View Post
    On a completely unrelated subject, a friend is in SD for a conference over the weekend and will have some free time. I thought I might ask her to pick up some film and/or chems for me, as it is usually far cheaper in the States than here. Any place still carrying a full range of darkroom supplies that I might direct her to?

Edit: I can not really ask her to head up to Freestyle, unfortunately
    Calumet has a branch in San Diego.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    ...but the desert east of town is probably a good answer either way! :-)

-NT
    What desert?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread reminded me of a road trip east of SD 'many' years ago. I was headed to the Ariz. desert and had to get through the mountains first. Came upon this scene in Julien, CA. It's a 35mm Kodachrome. Quite the alpine look to it and it reminded me of Michigan more than southern Cal. I did head on to the desert, lots of interesting scenes, but unfortunately, by then it was mid-day and not my favorite time for shooting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FoggyFarmJulien-Cal.jpg  
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aluk View Post
    I thought I might ask her to pick up some film and/or chems for me, as it is usually far cheaper in the States than here.
    Are you sure she is allowed to take things back on the plane to Canada

I second Balboa Park, it's lovely. Been there only once, while on a conference in San Diego at the end of a 6 week tour through the western US.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
    What desert?
    There's a whole lot of Sonoran desert on the other side of the mountains. Things start getting interesting within an hour's drive east of downtown; beyond that is Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, which covers something like half a *million* acres and is really stunningly beautiful, especially in the spring.

Lots of places to shoot models undisturbed, though nudes would require some care (and a lot of sunscreen). The setting won't be to everyone's taste, though, and it is a pretty fair distance out of the city proper.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin