Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,041   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hackneyed local landmarks

Going through some of my older shots and realized I only have one or two shots of a prominent local landmark. It's an interesting object, and I could shoot more shots of it, but because it's local to me it seems less appealing as a subject than many similar things elsewhere.

So how about you? What local landmark do you dismiss, that all the tourists (such as they may be) all take photos of?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Law Quad at the University of Michigan.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't have too many photographs of the Statue of Liberty. I've never even seen it closer than the view from the Staten Island Ferry.

I once tried to photograph the Empire State Building, and it's very hard to find a good vantage point. Ever notice that the best shots of the ESB are aerials? I've never been to the viewing platform on the top of the ESB.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Niagara Falls (sort of local). I have seen some interesting photos, including winter shots, but have never actually tried to photograph them myself.

I've looked, but fear I lack the imagination to do something that hasn't been done many, many, many times before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Wartburg at Eisenach, although I've made detail photographs inside. It was more of an event with eddies of tourists forming behind my 8x10's tripod. The photos themselves could have been done in any building from that period, nothing to identify the locale.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    Mt. McKinley!
    I think I have a total of perhaps five shots of the mountain and I've lived here 50 years.
    Rich

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The Carson Mansion here in Eureka...supposively the most photographed building in California. But that just might be a little bit of local BS.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sydney Harbour Bridge, Opera House, Luna Park, Coogee Baths, South Head and countless other harbour and beach cliches around Sydney - but what the hell, I still keep going back to photograph them from time to time. After all, it's a cliche because it's enormously attractive. It doesn't stop being attractive despite the millions of photographs taken. It may still be fresh to new eyes out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb;
    I don't have too many photographs of the Statue of Liberty. I've never even seen it closer than the view from the Staten Island Ferry.

I once tried to photograph the Empire State Building, and it's very hard to find a good vantage point. Ever notice that the best shots of the ESB are aerials? I've never been to the viewing platform on the top of the ESB.
    Well I guess I've been to more of the local sites than you David! When I lived in Westchester for a few years in the early '90s we went into the city most weekends. It is sad and sobering to see how often the twin towers appear in my photos. What was once a photographic cliche now has a much different character.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A windmill that was disassembled in the Netherlands in the 1960's, shipped across the Atlantic, and rebuilt here in Holland, Michigan. The bricks still supposedly show the scars of being strafed by fighters in WWII.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin