Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,250   Online: 822

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get all those things in Sheffield if you're passing - fading industrial heritage, Peak District rocks and more. Come and say hallo if you do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some links to try:

Many English Heritage sites are in various stages of ruin so you should double check what you are going to see. Having said that, sites are often photogenic.

The National Trust has many great houses and gardens though they do not allow photography indoors. If you stick to the larger houses there should be plenty to see and do.

Both Chatsworth and Castle Howard currently allow (35mm) photography inside.

For obvious reasons there are restrictions on anything other than small bags in historic houses.
    RTC

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Lillian,

if it by accident happens that you end up a bit more in the south of Germany (I live near Heidelberg) then I can offer my little darkroom as a changing tent. And it would anyway be nice to meet you - with or without changing films

Cheers
    Rüdiger

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rudiger - Thanks for the offer, but I doubt we'll get very far south. If you are heading north at all, you'll have to let me know.

We seem to be changing our plans around. It is hundreds of dollars cheaper to fly to Germany than England, and getting a camper will be cheaper too, so it looks like we will be beginning and ending our trip in Germany rather than England. Plans still in flux, but getting closer to being pinned down.

RTC - Thanks for the suggestions. I've not had time to browse all the websites, but now that plans are firming up, I'll take a better look. We've been to Chatsworth (awesome - hope to get back there, my favorite was their farmstore - wonderful local produce and products) but not Castle Howard. Is it in Yorkshire? We're not planning on travelling thataway this time. Wales is high on our list this time. Neither of us been there before. Norfolk and the West Country are also part of our trip.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MkII View Post
    You can get all those things in Sheffield if you're passing - fading industrial heritage, Peak District rocks and more. Come and say hallo if you do.
    Went through (or around maybe) Sheffield last time. I remember interesting graffitti, and somewhat neglected buildings. Don't know yet if we will be in that area as we crisscross the country, but will be in touch as our plans firm up.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would recommend visiting rst near Heidelberg - I was there last week (!), and that area is beautiful. I also drove across Lüneburger Heide, and I much prefer Baden.

Also Deidesheim in Rheinhessen was quite stunning...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Sly.

Actually, contrary to popular belief, if you plan ahead and you're prepared to visit on a weekday, the National Trust willallow photography inside their properties, subject to you not using the output for commercial gain. It's worth specifically mentioning the desire to use a tripod as this often tends to be more of an issue than actually taking photos.

I don't envy you a week in Norfolk as, despite living in north Essex and visiting Norfolk reasonably regularly, I've always struggled to find much that I would want to commit to film / pixels. Still, if its relatives, then the visit is a must.

If you can get to Hunstanton, there's some interesting rocks and beach and it's not too far to a place called Holt near to which you'll find Blickling Hall which can be very attractive in the right light.

If you're planning to be up the east coast and prefer main roads to the country lanes, you could have a look at the North Yorks moors between York and Middlesbrough. Don't go to Middlesbrough, though - not much at all to see there!

Between Somerset / Avon and Norfolk, you could travel via the Cotswolds. In fact, Lacock Abbey is a National Trust place that appreciates photography more than most as it's the home of William Henry Fox-Talbot and is definitely worth the visit. Avebury and Stonehenge aren't too far from Lacock and ancient towns like St. Albans and Cambridge could be en-route if you want them to.

My personal preference would always be The Peak District, The Lake District and Scottish Highlands - but that's because I'm a northener and I like mountains and rain.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your stay on out little island. Regards, Paul.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, it is the arrival of a grandchild in Luneburg that will be bringing me to and keeping me in the area of Luneburg. The city itself presents lots of opportunity for interesting architectural stuff. I'm sure I will be back in Germany to visit many times - my son is considering becoming a citizen. I can see doing more travelling/exploring on future trips.

Paul - this will be my 4th visit to Norfolk, and I know my camera will be busy there. Maybe it's because I live in a place where a 100 year old building is rare. Everything is so different, I find lots to photograph no matter where I am in England. The layer cake cliffs at Hunstanton are beautiful and Holt is the home of my favorite second hand bookstore.
    I hadn't considered Lacock Abbey. That will be a definate must.
    If you like mountains and rain you should come visit here on Vancouver Island - say in November or December to make sure it's nice and soggy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Destination Luneburg, south of Hamburg. We won't be travelling around Germany alot, the focus will be new grandchild. Local expeditions will be made
    Lots of photogenic places there. You won't have to travel far to get interesting architectural pictures. Landscape photography may be a bit challenging though.
    I don't have a changing tent, so don't know how I'd keep the film holders loaded.
    For this summer holidays I bought one from Calumet. It is perfect. Folded it is about 45x55x4 cm³ and weights only about 600g.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Skip the Lakes, it will be crawling with tourists

Nah! skip the lakes at the weekend. Just listen for the slamming of car boots and doors on Sunday afternoon and then head out in to the hills, they will be all yours!

September is a great month to be in the U.K. unusually warm and nice light.

Enjoy your stay

Best

Stoo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin