Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,333   Online: 963

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

istanbul camera shop?

Am going to Istanbul in October and wondered if anyone knew / could recommend a good camera shop with a decent stock of film etc?

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The store I use in Izmir is a subsidiary of an Istanbul shop, and they carry film but not a great choice.

It would be better to say what films in particular, for instance I can order Delta 100/400 and I'd get FP4/HP5 as that's what's they import. There are plenty of camera shops in Istanbul, but most are totally Digital, however a few have a reasonable range of analog materials. If ooze doesn't reply to this thread PM him as he lives in Istanbul and can point you in the right direction. My 4/5 visits to Istanbul have always been too short with no time to visit camear stores or catch up with Turkish APUG members there.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Gavin,

what formats are you looking for? It is kinda tricky to find certain brands and formats in Turkey we are somehow digitized , I would suggest that you get some with you in any case.
    There is one shop I regulary order and stock film, they probably have the best prices but you would find some films in other places as well. I have to find the adress to them I order by phone.
    There is Pamuk ticaret , and as I am told there is saatcioglu somewhere close to their store (I have never been to those stores) which is ilford's distributor.

http://www.pamukticaret.com/
    http://www.saatcioglu.com.tr/hakkimizda.php
    Last edited by Herzeleid; 07-08-2009 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: url added

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Gavin,

You can find all kinds of Kodak and Ilford (plus Fuji color negative and reversal) films in the Sirkeci district which is in the very heart of the old city.

One good store with many film choices (35mm, 120 and 4x5") is Pamuk Ticaret:
    (Please note that 120 and 4x5" choices are limited...)

Ankara Caddesi. Atabay Merkez İş Hanı No:169
    Kat:1 No:101 Sirkeci - İSTANBUL
    Tel: +90 (212) 519 04 40
    Fax: +90 (212) 528 73 53
    www.pamukticaret.com - m.sahabettin@ttmail.com

See the Google Maps link below:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...9&z=16&iwloc=A

Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    Am going to Istanbul in October and wondered if anyone knew / could recommend a good camera shop with a decent stock of film etc?

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Istanbul's backward then I can get Fuji Acros in Izmir. (OK only 4 rolls of 120).

Gavin, the link Loris has given is one of the stores I pass (but haven't visited) that I mentioned in the PM earlier.

Loris perhaps we can meet up when I'm next in Istanbul. One of my wife's best friends has recently moved back so later in the year we may go & visit, my wife was there today for work. I've livede in Turkey for nearly 3 yaers now and I haven't metb a local photographer shooting film yet !!!

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-08-2009 at 03:14 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Gavin,

As Loris & Herzeleid mentioned, Pamuk Ticaret is the way to go. Kodak&Fuji slide film is stored properly in a fridge. For BW, apart from Ilford and Kodak in all sizes, Mr.Pamuk has also started to stock Fuji Neopan400 in 120. He says a customer in Izmir swears by it and I just now started to wonder whether that might be you Ian Well, I can't complain, as Neopan used to be one of my favourites and I'm very happy to be able to use it again.
    As a bonus, you can also see one of Loris Medici's framed prints on the wall of the shop Loris, you should have a cyanotype hanging on that wall as well. There are so few people working with alternative processes in Turkey, it would be nice to see one of them displayed.

Cheers...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brilliant everyone, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi All,

It turns out that I will almost certainly be moving to Istanbul later this year - it's good to know that there are at least some shops offering a range of films even if the choice is limited.

Now, is there anything remotely worth photographing in Istanbul

Tim
    (Writing from the Marriott Istanbul Asia)

Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    Hi Gavin,

As Loris & Herzeleid mentioned, Pamuk Ticaret is the way to go. Kodak&Fuji slide film is stored properly in a fridge. For BW, apart from Ilford and Kodak in all sizes, Mr.Pamuk has also started to stock Fuji Neopan400 in 120. He says a customer in Izmir swears by it and I just now started to wonder whether that might be you Ian Well, I can't complain, as Neopan used to be one of my favourites and I'm very happy to be able to use it again.
    As a bonus, you can also see one of Loris Medici's framed prints on the wall of the shop Loris, you should have a cyanotype hanging on that wall as well. There are so few people working with alternative processes in Turkey, it would be nice to see one of them displayed.

Cheers...
    Hello ooze,
    I also will be traveling in Istanbul next week with my digital & analog camera. I'm afraid that the film will suffer some damage with the check points from airports (exposed to x-ray) so, I decided to buy the films & process them in Istanbul for that mater.
    I don't know anyone who lives in Istanbul to help me out and I'm sure you can .
    Will you give me a helpful hand and in advice me, where can I found some processing labs (manual b&w processing 35mm film) in Istanbul? I've heard that in the center of Istanbul I might find some, but I don't know turkish to try to localize them on google...
    Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Films are fine and safe at Turkish and other airports, mine gets scanned regularly and many multiple times. I've just retuned with some this morning scanned at Birmingham, but some I used while in the UK had been scanned before more than a dozen flighs, and daily re-boarding a cruise ship for a week in my back-pack

There's no issues with over 99% of airport scanners and hasn't been for many years, except a few smaller US airports still using older machines.

Welcome to APUG BTW

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin