Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,650   Posts: 1,623,572   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tripod's in Prague Ok?

I'm taking a short break in Prague from Tuesday. I plan on doing some long exposure work with an ND10 filter, but wanted any advance warning on tripod regulations over there. Will I get hounded by police/officials and will carrying a tripod make it difficult to get into any historic buildings?

Any must see recommendations would be much welcomed too!

Thanks,
    Ciaran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As everywhere in the world, you might not be allowed to take tripod
    shots inside certain buildings like churches, museums or galleries,
    but they'll usually let you in with it. There are no regulations
    today. There had been attempts to impose restrictions on the use of
    tripods on Charles bridge, but they have met with resistance from the
    public. Just use your common sense and don't block the flow of herds
    of tourists in narrow places, and nobody will harass you for using
    your tripod.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I just came back from Prague, and I had this funny experience (not including tripod, but ...): In a big old church, with an entrance fee, there was lots of signs saying: do NOT photograph!. The custodian (the man I bought the ticket from) looked at my camera (Rolleiflex SL66E) and said: "You can photograph!"...

So it might also be about what other gear you're using?

Analouge camera gear seems to get away with more than the digital ditto..

(It's not the first time I have had this experience..)

Have a NICE trip - I am going there again in a month's time..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps he thought that you must be a serious artist and didn't want to prevent the creation of a masterpiece.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In most places flash light is hated more than tripods, esp around art.
    And now aday's with a camera in each cellphone how can they stop people taking photo's ?

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you feel like doing some nerdy camera browsing/shopping then there is a camera shop off Wenceslas Square which has the largest selection of new and used film cameras and associated stuff I have ever seen in my life. Check it out. Twas the first time I laid eyes on such exotica as a Hasselblad, a Large Fomat camera, a folding camera and so on .....
    I have a photo blog ... and a Flickr ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hughitb View Post
    If you feel like doing some nerdy camera browsing/shopping then there is a camera shop off Wenceslas Square which has the largest selection of new and used film cameras and associated stuff I have ever seen in my life. Check it out. Twas the first time I laid eyes on such exotica as a Hasselblad, a Large Fomat camera, a folding camera and so on .....
    Tell yourself MUST LEAVE CREDIT CARD IN HOTEL ROOM
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first saw this, I thought Prague, OK was Prague, Oklahoma on State Highway 99.

I wondered who would be concerned about a tripod in that small town.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    When I first saw this, I thought Prague, OK was Prague, Oklahoma on State Highway 99.

I wondered who would be concerned about a tripod in that small town.

Mike
    I was going to say. There's a one horse town if I ever saw one. It would be best to get permission from everyone in town, just to CYA.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Using a tripod in Prague is no problem as long as you don't interfere with traffic (either people or cars). I used my Flexaret there and had a few older people approaching me to chat about the camera as they used the same all those years ago. They were so pleased to see a young guy use a camera like that in this digital age.

Be sure to pay a visit to Skoda Photo, they are located in the street called Vodickova, it's a street that connects with Václavské Námtestí square. It's a big photo store with a nice part of old camera's (which you can buy) and a good range of film (also rollfilm). The Staff speaks a little English but not much. These are the guys who hooked me up on Foma Film, got a roll for free when I bought a Flexaret III there, I was lost on Foma after that.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin