Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,715   Online: 804

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Iceland in September, any recent experience?

We've been before, but was hoping to get a sense of anything being different from a couple years ago (besides exchange rate, of course). If I remember correctly, ATM's were everywhere and everybody took credit cards. I assume this is still the case, but would like to know for sure before going.

Also, in September '06 it was pretty easy to find guesthouses and the occasional hotel room, but now with the krona being so weak, is tourism up to the point where we might need resevations? (Our travel MO has always been to wake up when the plane lands and go from there.)

Any comments or recs would be appreciated. Bringing a MF camera this time, too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rich,

I am taking a group there next week and it seems all is fairly normal. However, many of the hotels and guesthouses in the more remote areas close for winter season the first week of September. If planning to go anywhere remote, I would check for accomodations before going. If staying around any of the larger towns and cities, you will probably be OK. Also, although the exchange rate is better than when you last went, I am finding some hotels have raised rates so that rooms are comparable to other visits.

When is it you are going? Our group will be in country from the 1st to the 10th, but we will be mainly in the Western Fjords region.

Have a great time!

Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ATMs yes. It's full of tourest at the moment, so I think it would be a good idea to book.
    Also enjoy, climb a mountain or two.

PS. You can couch surfing over there there is 119 available you also get to hang with the locals. Www.couchsurfing.org

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was there in January, after many of the financial problems had rippled through the system. I saw *zero* signs of any problems paying for anything, withdrawing funds from ATMs etc. All services needed by visitors were 100% operational, and the Icelanders were as friendly and kind as ever. The only thing is that when I went to trade dollars for ISK, I was politely advised not to do so and that everyone would happily accept USD and euros. That proved true. Do not exchange currency!!!! Nobody will mind taking your euros or dollars.

When we were there (granted, it was January), there were a number of rooms available all over, at good rates but not spectacularly good... it's not like people are hawking their possessions on highway 1 or something. For most Icelanders, life goes on roughly as before, and the tourist industry is doing fine. Overall, I think you will find that not much has changed. Of course it always makes sense to reserve well ahead. But in terms of overall changes in prices, I don't think you'll see much change at all.

The US issued some sort of travel warning about Iceland while we were there- complete nonsense in my view. I mean, when your currency is weak, you want foreigners to come in and spend foreign currency, duh! So not surprisingly, we were greeted warmly, served well, and made off with some pretty good deals.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Depart sep 3, rtb sep 11. What y'all are saying is sort of what I expected: no crazy deals, but better than last time. But as long as credit is accepted and ATMs are still around (duh!) sounds like we can stick to our plan of Make It Up as we Go Along.

Bill, I do not know where we are going (other than the airport) but last time we didn't make it to the west. Spent a few days on Heimeiy (sure that's spelled wrong), drove a big loop, hung out in Reykjavik.

Thanks for the information, folks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    Depart sep 3, rtb sep 11. What y'all are saying is sort of what I expected: no crazy deals, but better than last time. But as long as credit is accepted and ATMs are still around (duh!) sounds like we can stick to our plan of Make It Up as we Go Along.

Bill, I do not know where we are going (other than the airport) but last time we didn't make it to the west. Spent a few days on Heimeiy (sure that's spelled wrong), drove a big loop, hung out in Reykjavik.

Thanks for the information, folks.
    I'll be there at the same time - This is my first time - We plan a small loop around the West. If it goes well, next time we ship a car to Amsterdam and then take the ferry over to Iceland before touring Europe and Africa.......epic plans.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I read your other post. You need tol take more film . . .a lot more film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin