Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,850   Online: 719

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Empire State

Shooter
    35mm
    On a tourist trip to NYC I did the tour of the ESB and was most struck by the detailing of the building; at least those portions accessible to the touring public. I think a lot of people are only interested in the outside appearance of the building and the observation deck. As strikingly beautiful as these features are, I was drawn instead to the small details of the building. I think one reason for this was because I had never seen photographs of these details before. Someone should really take the time to put together a picture portfolio of these architectural features and make them available on the web. If you go to the official ESB tourist web site you will see what I mean. In particular, they only have two very poor images of the lobby. For those who are familiar with touring the ESB, I realize just how hard this would be as quality access to these places would be very difficult to arrange but the payoff is there to someone able to make the necessary arrangement. In summary, when touring the ESB, take your time and try to see more than just the observation deck.

Denis K

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tripods are allowed, but you have to get a permit (as of a few years ago). But, the observatory wall is rather thick with a fence in the middle - so I found that I couldn't use the tripod except for straight out views. But, a tabletop tripod, worked fine and allowed me to get in between the fence posts to get better shots. It's kind of crowded up there so you'll have to pretend you're a real New Yorker and push the tourists out the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin