Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,050   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empire State

Shooter
    Medium Format

Empire State

Hello, i am new to this group - although i have spent a fair bit of time over with the Large Format Crew. I am on a business trip to the USA in a couple of weeks time and I plan, once I have been to B&H to collect a new Gorillapod focus, to attach my RRS Ballhead and RB67 to it, and try to take decent timed exposure at night from the observatory of the Empire State. I know...The picture has been done before, a million times probably...but not by me!!

I know there is a restriction on Tripods in the observatory however...

1) is there any form of rail up there i might get a gorilla pod wrapped around? (i was there about ten years ago so i can't remember)

2) am i gonna get carted off to Cuba for attaching something to the building?

3) am i mad considering this approach

4) is the shot likeley to be ruined by (i seem to remember) the fence?

Thanks!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've never been to the top of the ESB in the eighteen years I've lived in New York, but I gather from others who have been that large cameras of any sort are often regarded as evidence of commercial photography by the guards, so you might want to think about how to be inconspicuous.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Write and ask permission for tripods.

As far as Gorillas go, the last one was in the 1930's at the top for a while. Bringing one and attaching it ... I am not sure but we are low on biplanes to shoot at it.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was at B&H and the 86th floor observation deck last week. There is a railing/fence to wrap the pod around. Would a gorilla pod be considered a tripod by the powers that be, I don't know. You certainly won't be taking up floor space like a traditional tripod. If it were me, I might consider asking forgiveness rather than permission, and brace the camera on the building - very carefully! if they say no.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consider this ...
    you are on the 86st floor,
    you attach your Gorilla to the rail,
    you then attach your RB67 to the Gorilla,
    you adjust the camera's settings,
    you press the shutter release,
    the Gorilla spins around so the camera is below the rail.
    the camera is pulling on the Gorilla,
    the Gorilla decides to let go ... :o:o:o

Something to consider.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like to observation platform in midtown at Rockefeller Center - Top of the Rock - better than the Empire State. There is no fence - lower level has glass plates with gaps that a lens will fit through and the upper level has open air. If you have time you may want to do both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I question whether or not a Gorrila tripod thing can take the bulk of an RB67. I tried the smaller one with a Hasselblad and it couldn't hold up at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    I question whether or not a Gorrila tripod thing can take the bulk of an RB67. I tried the smaller one with a Hasselblad and it couldn't hold up at all.
    Thank you. My point in post #5 exactly.

Great minds ...

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i am sceptical myself however the "focus" model claims 5KG - i weighed my rb with 65mm lense and it weighs just under 3KG. Thanks everyone for your input - i have emailed security and asked for a special exception re tripods - if they say yes, maybe i will take an even bigger camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would also seek permission from the passers by in the street below, an RB 67 falling at the velocity of 32 feet per second, per second , can do a lot of damage :rolleyes:
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-14-2009 at 09:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin