Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,348   Online: 1167

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have also had the pleasure to see Lee's portfolio in person and the work is excellent. He also has compiled quite a collection of work from others in his home.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    These missions are one of those "well kept secrets". I had lived most of my life in San Antonio until 15 years ago when I moved to Dallas. Since then, I have returned to SA to "do" the missions since we never did while we lived there. Go figure.

Just FYI, (Texans know this, but it hasn't been mentioned in this thread) one of those missions is the Alamo!

Do, if you can, visit these sites and take your cameras. However, don't go to take pix on Sunday mornings, some of them are still parish churches!

Also, FYI, there are 3 missions on the USA side in El Paso, and I understand 2 or three more on the Mexican side.

Cheers!

Adios!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jorde
    These missions are one of those "well kept secrets". I had lived most of my life in San Antonio until 15 years ago when I moved to Dallas. Since then, I have returned to SA to "do" the missions since we never did while we lived there. Go figure.

Just FYI, (Texans know this, but it hasn't been mentioned in this thread) one of those missions is the Alamo!

Do, if you can, visit these sites and take your cameras. However, don't go to take pix on Sunday mornings, some of them are still parish churches!

Also, FYI, there are 3 missions on the USA side in El Paso, and I understand 2 or three more on the Mexican side.

Cheers!

Adios!
    I went to UTSA and the Missions were always some of my favorite places, sadly this was when I was starting photography and all my pics were crap...

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    the missions in san antonio are part of the national park service and if anyone tells you that you need a permit thank them and continue what you are doing. I spent about 3 years off and on at the san antonio missions and did inquire about a permit. I was told by the head smokey the bear that only if I had a wedding party or a some big event would I need a permit. Now at the Alamo, this is a horse of a different color. The Daughters of the Republic run this as a shrine to the Independence of Texas. No photographs inside. The front outside is fair game but you need to be there early and the light is really on the wrong side for morning. Then it is hot like hell in the summer. There are 5 missions in all. San Francisco de Espada is the south most and the Alamo is the north most. Espada is a nice little area and there is an aqueduct about a half mile away also. The missions are open 8a to 5p. There has been some gang activity in the past in the evenings so a special wary eye is always good. You might not want to go alone. I did but I am crazy and they know it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This looks like it would be a great place to visit. I think it would be just a little over 15hrs driving time for me.

Are there any special considerations to take into account when photographing with Large Format there?

I would love to make this trip.

Jim

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just show up. Look for the Missions Trails signs on the Interstate and follow them. Once you find Mission Conceptsion they have a ranger station there and you can see a map for the rest of them. They are not too far apart. They (the interiors are open 8a to 5p 6 days a week and a few are open on Sunday as a parish church. Good luck, call me when you pass through town. Just take I35 south to Denton and then take I35 w south thru fort worth. It is just a 300 mile jaunt to San Antonio from here.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have started a list of places that I would like to go and photograph within the next year and this is going on it.

Thanks for the info Lee.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin