Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,423   Online: 725

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

4x5 processing in New Zealand

Hi:
    I'll be visiting New Zealand for five weeks in February. I'll be bringing my 4x5 camera and was wondering if there are any processing labs that could develop my b&w negatives. I'm hoping I don't have to carry exposed negatives with me on the way back to Canada.

Thanks, Bryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Imagelab will develop sheet film, whether colour neg, slide or B+W. They have stores in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. Their service is generally very good.

It won't be cheap though. If you have a few sheets to develop in one go, talk to them first, as they will do deals.

It would be cheaper to ply a friendly apugger with beer

Personally, I wouldn't be at all worried about carrying exposed, undeveloped film back with me. Just make sure it goes in your HAND CARRY.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It has been a long while since I have been in New Zealand, but I used a company called Lab Tec in Auckland, I had no complaints. Another I was recommended was PCL, also in Auckland. Both seem to still be in business. Don't know anything about Image Lab

There is a guy in Wellington I have heard of who runs a photo gallery that has a darkroom for hire apparently, he might even do the processing as well. Think it is called Photograph Space or The Photospace.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Imagelab here in Wellington really do run a good service. If you get your film into them by 11am they'll generally have it done by 3pm the same day. The quality is always good too.

As Shan Ren said, James Gilberd runs the Photospace gallery/studio, and they have a darkroom available for hire (http://www.photospace.co.nz/darkroom.htm) for $20NZD/hr which apparently includes chemicals (could be worth asking if it's less if you provide your own chems). I've sadly never set foot in Photospace (one of those things I've been meaning to do for months but never get around to doing), but heard lots of good things about it. They also only mention 35mm and 120 developing, but they have a 4x5 enlarger so I'd assume they're set up for 4x5 too. If you fancy spending an afternoon to do your own it could be a good option.

I also wouldn't worry about carrying exposed negs, though I've only ever flown with 120 so I've never had to try and tell security not to open any boxes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Labtec is now a part of PCL - FWIW it's my preferred lab
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin