Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,509   Online: 850

Shooter
    Multi Format

Jasper 4x5 in early october

I'm going to jasper and banf (canada) for about 10 days and would like to get some tips from people who have traveled there with a 4x5 camera during that time of year. I typically shoot black and while but would like to get some color as well. Would color neg or transparency be more appropriate for that landscape ? Are the days overcast/cloudy with little contrast in october ? Any tips and pointers would be great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That will be a great time to travel through there. It is after the "tourist season" and before it gets too cold. It has been a few years since I have gone through the Rocky Mountains but the mountains do not change that much. For me I was just shooting 35mm at the times I've gone there and your best chances are the early mornings. In the mornings the air is clear and cold. Take a few extra warm things with you eg . wool socks, light movers gloves (good for fine adjusting and focusing) a warm jacket, sturdy boots. If you have time check out some of the small lakes through there. Lake Loise and Miette Hot Springs are a few beautiful locations. But beware if you do go off the "beaten path" the bears that may be there are not particularly fond of people. And listen to the locals they are the ones who know the area and the hazards. Have fun and shoot lots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Second what dwc says, and add that the weather changes can be very sudden.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good choice for your trip would be to get a copy of How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies by Darwin Wiggett. The book is a comprehensive guide to some of the best sites to photograph in the parks. Book should cost about $15 and you can check it out here
    http://www.amazon.com/Photograph-Can.../dp/1551536412
    Weather this time of year can vary from the record high temperatures last week to 10C or lower. Colours are changing now abd should last for the nest couple of weeks or longer. There has been some light snow on the mountain tops on the Jasper Parkway in the last couple of weeks. Bears are foraging for food before they begin to den up so be aware. Make sure to have some warm clothes in your car in case of an emergency.
    Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a gorgeous area. Banff is the picture-postcard park but Jasper has always called to me a little more loudly. It's quieter, but no less beautiful.

There are some gorgeous sites in the adjacent British Columbia parks too (Yoho and Kootenay). Mount Revelstoke National Park is just west on Highway 1 and is also gorgeous, although for me it's more of a late spring park.

Just shoot - and be prepared for anything. You could have temperatures as high as the mid-20s and as low as well below freezing.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will shoot a lot of B&W but i also want to take a few boxes of color. Do you guys recommend negative or slide film for that particular location ? Or should I take a bit of both ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    where's jasper?? left or right of toronto?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take what ever you can, a bit of both. You will not regret taking TOO much. Except if you plan hiking and carrying a lot of weight it can be a very good workout. A majority of good pictures can be taken steps away from your transportation.

Have a good time and post some of your shots after you have them printed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by larkis View Post
    I will shoot a lot of B&W but i also want to take a few boxes of color. Do you guys recommend negative or slide film for that particular location ? Or should I take a bit of both ?
    Fall seems to be running a bit late this year, which is nice. There may be quite a bit of colour remaining up there when you arrive, larches etc.

Take colour and B & W.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin