Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,451   Online: 984

Thread: Sedona in March

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sedona in March

Well, we've finally booked a trip to the South Rim for March 2010. We plan on checking out spots like the painted desert and petrified forest, etc. I know that's kind of touristy, but they are things I've always wanted to see. Anyway, we'll be spending a couple of nights in Sedona, and I'm looking for recommendations of places to stay and things to photograph. I'll be bringing mostly MF and 35mm gear. (I'd love to bring my 4x5, but it's a monorail and a definite test of my stamina)

While I'm asking, what is the availability of film like down there? Will I be able to find a good selection of B&W and colour, or should I start ordering my supplies before I head out?

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Oh, ya... I'll be spending a couple of nights in the park, two in Sedona, and three nights in the Phoenix area.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As of a couple of years ago there was a camera shop right in the center of town. Try the motel/inn up at the airport for lodging. Great place, Sedona, but crowded. Go up Oak Creek toward Flagstaff for a spectacular ride.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Whitey. I know that Sedona can get quite busy. We are planning on staying a few miles out so we can take advantage of the countryside as much as possible.

regards,

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There was a store in Sedona that did MF c41 for me; I was impatient. They didn't do b&w or e6 in-house though. Have fun, it's a great place. Do be sure to get your aura tuned
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Images
    I, personally, find Sedona over rated, but I live in northern Arizona and have time to hit other places. Shots of Oak Creek with Cathedral Rock in the back ground are a must. At that time of year you should still have snow, assuming we get a snowy winter. Sun up and sunset are the best times for color. Bring a polorizer and a warming filter or a worming polarizer. I prefer an orange filter for the red rocks. Easier to control the contrast than with a red. Green and yellow work too.

The Painted Desert is one of my favorite places. BW is a must, as is color. Get there early, like before sun up to catch the colors. If you are in luck the ground will be wet with snow melt. This makes the layers sing. If you have time hit the little painted desert as well. Outside of Flagstaff on the way to the painted desert is an old route 66 tourist trap. It is in ruins and the turn off is the Two Guns turn off. Pretty cool place if you like fallen down buildings. Last time I was there (2005) you could get in and walk around.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/6993

The place has a funny history.

Late winter/early spring is very unpredictable in norther Arizona. Wind is almost a guarantee and at times can be really bad. WInd at the painted desert is 100 times worse than in the Sedona area. Prepare for cold and lots of wind. That way, if the photo gods are with you and the weather is warm and beautiful, you will be much more thankful. If the gods are laughing at you you will be prepared.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Take a look at the following:
    Just NW of Sedona - Palatki Ruins
    Red Rock State Park
    West Fork
    A little further away:
    Jerome
    Tuzigoot
    Cottonwood (Look into the railroad trip up the canyon)
    take the back road from Jerome to Williams (on the way to the canyon)

and from the east end of the Grand Canyon, look into Wupatki and Sunset Craters.

Lots to see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second Jerome. Truly weird place for someone from New England, that's for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. (I'll be sure to bump this thread before I head out in March) Yes, I've read about the new-age-ish culture thereabouts. Maybe I'll get my karma tuned.
    Right now though, I'm more curious as to whether it is possible to rent any 4x5 gear. My monorail is far too big and bulky to carry on a plane, and I'd hate to miss the opportunity to shoot some LF in such a great location.
    (hm... all this talking about auras etc.... feeling a bit of deja vu... like I already wrote this once today... weird... )

Cheers,

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin