Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,906   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images
    Ever have one of those days where you should have left the camera at home, and probably stayed in bed??? I had one today.

I had some free time (a rarity lately) and decided to take a short ride up to Fremont to check out Mission San Jose. It was an easy 16 mile drive from my house. I stopped at the camera store and picked up a few rolls of film and headed off with my 35mm gear.

I got to the mission, and took a roll outside, reloaded and started my way up to the main entrance to the mission. (the gift shop, what a surprise!).

I got in the door, and started browsing through their merchandise, just killing time. That’s when the Nun behind the counter attacked me .

“You can’t wear a backpack inside the chapel or on the tour!” I said ok, and continued to browse. She said it again, a little louder, and lot more forceful. “You can’t wear a backpack inside the chapel or on the tour!!” I said no problem, I would drop it off at my car before entering the chapel. I smiled, and went on my way. Then she said… “I don’t want you wearing it in the gift shop either! By this time, my Sicilian / Irish blood started to boil. He he… I started walking to the door, ignoring her, and was just going to put my backpack away. When I opened the door, a family with 4 young kids ran into the gift shop and made a commotion. I held the door open for them, wondering if the gift shop Nazi was going to let the kids in her precious gift shop (they might break something ya know…) she did, I was ½ way out the door, and she yells out. “backpacks inside the chapel or on the tour!” I stopped, turned to her, and stared at her for slightly longer then it was comfortable for either of us, then turned around, went to my car, and headed out for my second location.

Location # 2 was about 6 or 7 miles down the road. Historic Niles, CA. It was a Mecca for silent film production back in the good ol’ days. The light was pretty harsh, so I just spent some time going through the antique shops, and looking in the windows of the closed shops. Planned a few shots for a return visit, etc. I was there over an hour, and decided it was time to head home. I was about 20’ from my car when this Grizzly Adams character in his late 50’s drives up next to me in his 1970’s jeep and yells. Get the hell out of here, we don’t like your type! My jaw hits the ground… he peels away from the curb and honks his horn as he drives wildly down the main street of the town.

By this time, I knew it was time to come home. I told my wife, and she told me that I must just attract weird people. Hehe.

What a strange day.
    hi!

Brian,
    It's a shame I live on the other coast. Otherwise I could take photographic day trips with you. You could run interference with the nuts while I took pictures undisturbed.
    Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What "type" are you exactly? It is important to know so we can get the right keep out signs up around here if you ever show your face.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Images
    UPDATE!

Trying to salvage the day, I decided to run a film test in my trusty ol' Yashica-D. 1/2 way through the test the advance knob fell off in myh hands! LOL
    hi!

Images
    Type... hmmm. 30's, stalky, wearing a pair of shorts and a plaid shirt... truly an undesirable type!
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nazi in the gift shop must have seen a different guy from the Brian that I met last November. That one was a fun guy with a sharp wit who did not project any unpleasantness at all.

Images
    oh Les, you're making me blush
    hi!

Images
    Just don't try any of your troublemakin' around here.

Sean,
    I think that you'd better add "NO BACKPACKS!" to your TOS.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    wearing a pair of shorts and a plaid shirt...
    Have you looked at the effects that plaid have on some people? I remember years ago I was out for a drink with some friends in a small pub north of Toronto, it was the middle of winter here and so I had on my regulation Canadian plaid shirt. A young lady approached me and after introducing herself (she had just flown in from Britain that day), demanded to know if I was a real Canadian Lumberjack. After picking my friends up off the floor and calming down the laughter we spent the next half hour assuring the young lady that I was not insulted and she hadn't made a fool of herself.
    Brian McDowell

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think we should all take a planned trip to San Jose, what would that be, several hundred? and take care of the nun and the other grizzly people in that area... (or at least show them that we're rather nice after all). Michael could bring lots of wine and Ed could offer to do the nun's portrait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin