Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,419   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Central Mexico, Early Jan 2010

So, I am going to schlep my folks down to Puerto Vallarta and then venture with them from there to Mexico City over ~9 days. Assuming that I can drag them out of Puerto Vallarta...

Along our 550 mile driving route: whales with calves; innumerable cathedrals and missions; three volcanoes (one active!); one cathedral consumed by a volcano; a butterfly sanctuary that plays host to most of the world's monarch butterflies and many migratory birds for several months; a big body of water with pelicans; old mining towns; rather large peaks, and last but not least all of Mexico City and its plazas and so forth.

Now, I am not planning to do a Strand or Weston and stay there, because I need to start teaching again on the 15th... so I plan to come back up on Jan. 8th or so.

So.... if any apuggers are down there during that period and wish to meet, or if anyone can offer lodging advice....

Camera-wise, I guess it'll be a mamiya 6 and maybe a 645 for the birdies and whales. Maybe my 4x10. And a digital thing. There you go, 4 cameras already, why do I do this to myself....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Enlist your parents as porters. Pith helmet and all...
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am going to just miss you. I am going to Mexico City on the 27th Jan till the 13 Feb and probably going to spend a lot of time over at Patzcuaro and Morelia.

I am thinking of leaving my beloved Rolleis at home and going with the Pentax 67 so I can have a wide angle lens. Time will tell if I can actually walk out the door without the Rolleiflex.

Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never leave home without it, Dennis.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post

So.... if any apuggers are down there during that period and wish to meet, or if anyone can offer lodging advice....

Camera-wise, I guess it'll be a mamiya 6 and maybe a 645 for the birdies and whales. Maybe my 4x10. And a digital thing. There you go, 4 cameras already, why do I do this to myself....
    Have fun. I plan to be in Merida for about two weeks in early January but from your itinerary I don't think our paths will cross.

My advice would be to leave the 4X10 at home given the amount of travel you plan to do. I often take a 5X7 outfit with me to Mexico, but only when I plan to be in one spot for more than a week. The extra weight of the larger camera could be a real burden when you are moving around a lot.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been to a few of the coast resorts, but I get bored easily with beaches. I'd like to spend a couple of months traveling in the central region. Maybe even staying in one spot if I found the perfect place. The only thing that holds me back is owning 4 dogs! Anyway, have fun!
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Indeed, Sandy, my latest plan involves leaving the 4x10 at home and taking an MF rangefinder and an MF slr. The rb is tempting as a big, heavy, not-too-valuable camera that I could leave for long overnight exposures. If only I could only figure out how to make the exposure end at a certain time... something like a 4 hour timer. I am thinking that long exposures might be interesting near the volcanoes or just during cloudless nights at high altitude. I don't enjoy getting out of bed before sunrise just to close my shutter, nor camping near my camera in jaguar country.

Say, anybody want to exchange a 617 for a 410 for a few weeks?! My 410 sports 5x7 and 5x8 backs.

JW I detest beaches; my people cannot spend more than 10 mins in the sun without SPF 90. So... one day in Vallarta for the folks but then we're high-tailing it into the hills! Or else I will need a sombrero.

Sorry we won't intersect, Dennis. Let's compare notes afterwards! I am very excited about the church of San Juan Parangaricutiro.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Sorry we won't intersect, Dennis. Let's compare notes afterwards! I am very excited about the church of San Juan Parangaricutiro.
    The old church that was partially covered with lava by the Paricutin volcano is indeed very interesting visually. I went there with my wife and daughter some thirty years ago and at the time just getting there was an adventure as we had to go do a road that was meant for 4 wheel drive to a small village, where we rented horses for the rest of the trip to the village. Probably a lot easier to get to these days.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have a great trip. Will you be going through Oaxaca?

I have a new project in the makings for next summer and beyond of the town of Pueblo Nuevo.
    Looking forward to it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Indeed,

I do plan on going to see it. Certainly sounds interesting.
    Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin